Still Human

Before Halo...

Jane's POV

Ghost and I are sent on a mission to retrieve and protect information regarding the Covenant. As time goes on, however, I began to notice something. Ghost didn't mind the insults, he never seems to notice anything. In fact, when we reach out to him, he turns his back as in he didn't expect us to be there, to me at least. Today, We go on a mission, to where we need to eliminate every Covenant insight, which makes Ghost grin his teeth. The fact that I heard a chuckle from him, can be unnerving at times, though he is a Spartan-iii and everyone in the UNSC know that Spartan-iii's are often more sadistic than us 2s.

We went into the AO and the first thing that engaged the Covenant was us, more specifically Ghost. He tears through the Covenant soldiers like they were just obstacles and thus the UNSC labeled him as Hyper Lethal Vector. I bet that's because of how many bodies he'd been making before he came back. Anywho, we went through the base and for the majority of the forces that has been attacking us, Ghost simply deals with them, like they were nothing. I killed a few Covies that tried to back-stab him and a couple of brutes.

Me and Ghost went through the tunnels and slaughtered the Elites there. At one point he threw a spear which killed 3 of the Elites. I shot my assault rifle into them, until i have to resort to the Shotgun. Wave after wave of what felt like endless Covenant soldiers, we've blast through.

Eventually, I saw Ghost holding an Elite major by the throat. Before he could kill him, though, a small voice is heard. We turned our heads to the sound and came a small Elite, standing taller than a child.

Elite kid: Papa?

Elite Major: Yin, go! Or the demons would get you!

Elite kid: I'm not leaving you!

Elite Major: Just Go! I'm sorry, my little one.

Ghost let go of the Major for me to hold him in place. He walks up the scared Elite and picks her up. His activity seemed strange at first, but it is easy to show that this is different than his more sadistic side. Slowly, he gave the Elite major his kid and Ghost looked to me.

Ghost: Let him go.

Me: What! why? We are here to eliminate all of the Covenant.

Ghost: Yet, do you think it's best to kill a kids parents infront of their eyes and soon they would grow to kill us? No, because I've experienced it first hand.

Me: The mission...

Ghost: What's more important is to choose your targets carefully. Otherwise, we may end up getting another war. We barely survived this one. Besides, if you are still human, act like one.

Me: I see.

I let go of the Elite Major and Ghost point the major to the exit.

Elite Major: You have my gratitude, Demons.

Ghost: Go, and never speak of this till this is over.

Elite Major: [Walk away] And I shall honor your request.

The Elite walk away from us with his little one in hand. Ghost stood, watching the 2 move away from his vision into the fog.

Me: Ghost, you okay?

Ghost looks back at me and nods.

After awhile, the place have been decimated, UNSC forces came in to take the place. As the operation goes, I have a private time with Ghost. While I head to Ghost, I see a few officers and soldiers giving me some strange looks. No matter, I just continue on my merry way till I see Ghost. He sat on a crate while projecting a holo-picture of a family.

Me: Ghost.

Ghost: [Look to me] Chief?

Me: Please, call me Jane.

Ghost: Oh.

Me: What's on your mind?

Ghost: Hard to... Describe.

Me: [Sit next to Ghost] You know I think that it's best you talk to me, at least.

Ghost: I see.

Me: What's with the picture?

Ghost: An old life, that was burned long ago.

Me: Oh, sorry.

Ghost: It's alright. I wished my family see me now, being the one, who'll avenge them.

Me: Ghost, Sometimes it's best to let go.

Ghost: But then... What am I if I don't have motivation? A machine? A disposable thing? A monster?

Me: Ghost. Look, I may be an enhance Spartan, who see countless of my brothers and sisters die for a noble cause.

Ghost: However, the circumstances that you were conscripted is... Questionable. When I got some data from an ONI base, I find out that the Spartan 2s were stolen children. But these children have something more unique than the rest. For you, however, have the will to beat and defeat anything. That mentality stays true to this day.

Me: I guess. *Sigh* Ghost, can you come to my quarters, privately?

Ghost: Time?

Me: 2 o'clock.

Ghost: Alright. Try not to spook me

With that Ghost disengages his exoskeleton and begins some preparations and repairs. I, in the mean time, walk to my quarters.