might be my chance.

“Wanning.”

“Mo Ran.”

“I-I met him… Chu Fei… Wanning, Chu Fei was here.” In Chu Wanning’s arms, Mo Ran’s sobs rocks his shaking body with fervor, his fists clutching his sleeping robes as if it’s his last saving grace, holding him anchored.

Chu Wanning runs his nimble fingers through his husbands hair, he should have known that his encounter with Chu Fei is much more painful since it’s the first time Mo Ran ever got to talk to Chu Fei since their past lifetime unlike him who finally sorted out things with not just Mo Ran but also their Taxian-jun.

There is worry settling in his stomach that the next time he might switch soul with Chu Fei it will be to Taxian-jun’s day.

Tears and snot damp Chu Wanning’s chest but he could not bring himself to care as pulls Mo Ran to him, placing a kiss on top of his head as another heart-wrenching cry slips past through Mo Ran’s lips.

“I met Taxian-jun. Chu Fei and I switched souls.” He finally says and the body that clung to him recoils back, startling the both of them.

Trembling, “Did he hurt you?”

“Mo Ran, why would you think—”

“Baobei, I know better than anyone how much of an animal Taxian-jun is.”

Chu Wanning’s gaze harden, “Mo Weiyu! I don’t ever want to hear you speak so abhorrent of yourself again.”

“Taxian-jun did unspeakable things to you, Wanning.” Mo Ran whispers, ugly guilt morphing onto tear-stained face but Chu Wanning’s eyes meets his with defiance. He knows know matter how much he placates his husband when it comes to his anger for his past self it is of no use. Even when it comes to their Taxian-jun who was not given a second chance for redemption like Mo Ran had, whose self-reproach is something that have yet to diminish.

But he his chance is now, no matter the limited time he was given.

“Mo Ran…” He whispers, “if you did not sacrifice yourself… Taxian-jun would have been me.”

“No.” Mo Ran shakes his head, closing his eyes to recollect himself, “tell me he did not hurt you.”

“He did not. He was… stricken when he found out that the soul occupying Chu Fei’s body was not his.” Chu Wanning reaches out to pull back Mo Ran into his arms who turns pliant against him, “Mo Ran, now that I think about it, as Taxian-jun I don’t think you ever realized how overprotective you were when it comes to Chu Fei.”

Chu Wanning smiles softly as he hears Mo Ran mumble something incoherently before speaking out loud, “It was because I never really understood the feeling I had for you… I used to always follow my gut instead of thinking things through.”

“How do you feel?” He inquires, lifting Mo Ran’s face to look at his husband properly. There is still hurt in his eyes but he has significantly calmed down compared to when he had just woken up to his body in their bed with Mo Ran kneeling a few feet away from him, uncontrollably quivering as he doubles over from his cries, repeatedly saying I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

Chu Wanning has long forgiven him but he doubts Mo Ran would ever forgive himself.

“Much better,” Mo Ran sighs, leaning into his warm touch, “now that I got to tell him everything I ever wanted to say.”

Chu Wanning hums, balked at the though that he must have switched souls with Chu Fei for a longer time but it just so happens he had mostly been asleep when they did. He would love to spend more time trying to figure things out with Taxian-jun and tell him about the important things he needs to know in order to prevent the same things from occurring in the future.

“What about you?” Mo Ran asks, “What did you talk about with Taxian-jun?”

“For the most part I tried to convince him that his Chu Wanning’s soul was not snatched, that I’m from another lifetime and--”

At Chu Wanning’s sudden pause, red painting the tips of his ears and the apples of his cheeks, frozen to the spot, even the hand that continued to stroke his husband’s hair came to a halt, Mo Ran let out a confused noise.

“Wanning?” He calls out, tilting his head in question “Boabei, did something happen?”

When Chu Wanning unconsciously bit his lip, a sudden thought pops into Mo Ran’s head and he leans much closer to his husband who is currently blushing in deep embarrassment and whispers coaxingly, “Boabei, did you kiss him?”

“No!” Chu Wanning shouted, answering too fast that in his denial he just exposed himself.

Mo Ran pouted underneath him, a hand snaking around to wrap his husband’s waist, “Wanning, I expected you to be more honest.”

When Mo Ran felt like his adorable husband might explode from how red he is, he stops his teasing to kiss his Wanning’s lips, nibling at his lower lip when the other reflexively opened his mouth, musing at the thought that anything inexplicably ‘Mo Ran’, his husband would unconsciously accept.

“It’s okay,” he assures Chu Wanning before he actually does burst from embarrassment with how thin-faced his is, “I might have kissed Chu Fei too.”

Chu Wanning searches for his face, watching his sincere expression before nodding slowly.

Because what the fuck, did that count as… cheating?

“Would the switch of yours and Chu Fei’s soul be a one time thing though?” Mo Ran wonders and the two of them ponders.

“I don’t know,” Chu Wanning casts his eyes down in thought, “but I am certain that if it happens once more, it will repeat again just like your case with our Taxian-jun.”

Mo Ran gives himself a meaningful look once their eyes met, “What do you plan to do then?”

“Mo Ran, in our past when I found out about your curse I have tried to find ways to save you but I was too late,” He embraces his husband tighter for comfort, letting himself ingrain every sensation of Mo Ran’s warmth against him,alive and breathing, “I think this might be my chance to save Taxian-jun.”