Chapter 1

The weightless slumber was slowly fading.

It felt like my soul had separated from my body and was floating in an abyss. But it felt like I was returning back to my body.

The stiffness in my hand and elbow made me twitch. But strangely I was feeling a lightness too. The air was warm, artificially warm and the strange beeps in the background was disturbing me, making me pinch my eyes together. I took in a deep breath, my lungs filled up to the brim and an involuntary sigh left my lips.

I fluttered my eyes open, squinting at the dimmed light in the room.

I was in an unfamiliar room, but it looked luxurious. I shifted my head and looked around, a couple of monitors beeped on my left, a drip connected to my arm and two clips on my fingers. I lifted my hand, frowning at the unnatural lightness in my body. A paper brown blanket was wrapped over the lower half of my body as I realised that I was dressed in hospital scrubs.

I turned my head to the right, a groan slipping past my lips at the soreness due to the awkward position of the pillows.

"Ariel," I almost jumped out of my skin at the voice, the heart rate monitor shot up and my eyes fell on mom who stepped forward to sit on the stool and clasped my hand in hers.

I took in a deep breath and took in her familiar green eyes underlined with dark eyebags. The warmth from her hands were seeping into my skin.

"Ariel," she breathed out my name again, her eyes searching mine. I blinked at her, parting my lips to speak. "Mommy," my hoarse voice made my throat itch.

Mom closed her eyes, tears slipping down her cheeks as her hands shook around mine. "Mom?" I whispered gently.

I remember everything, every detail. And I know what I am going to hear.

As opposed to what I expected she broke down in sobs, clutching my hand to her face. "Ariel," she sobbed, her tears wetting my hand as she hugged it close.

"Mom, it is alright," I whispered quietly. I have destroyed everything. By now everyone must know that I have three colours. What are we going to do?

She sat up straighter. I whipped her tears with my thumb gently. She sniffed, her face pinching as she tried to hold in a sob. My own throat constricted. I don't want mom to cry because of me. I don't want to be the reason she cries. After everything she has sacrificed for me, her tears are too much to ask.

The beeping jumped again and mom stilled in my arms.

"Oh, I am so sorry, I know I shouldn't have started crying, the doctor said not to give you any stress or any unwanted shock. I am just being too sensitive. I can't do anything right. For god's sake I was enjoying my days while my children were out there fighting that monster. I-"

"Mom!" I placed my hand on top of hers and curled around her waist, placing my head in her lap. She blinked at me, stopping abruptly. Her hands didn't move, didn't caress my head.

A drop of liquid touched my cheek and cascaded down in a sad trail. Another followed as I soon felt her body shaking as she wrapped her hands around me tightly, crushing my head against her stomach. The safest place I have ever been, I realised at the moment.

"Mom I am okay," I whispered hoarsely, my throat itching at the dryness.

"They- they sa-id that, tha-t you-u fell from fif- fifty feet, and I saw e-everything thing on the v-video. The T.v- and- " mom shuttered, hunching over me and kissing my cheek repeatedly. I gave her waist a squeeze in return, letting her know I am still here.