Chapter 56: Success

We packed our things, stumbled back to the stone chamber, and immediately saw the changes that had taken place.

On some of the alcoves in the stone wall where the ancient books had been placed, I could see that part of the relief had been pushed out, while other parts hadn't.

The whole rock wall turned into a very strange jigsaw puzzle, where some places were pieced together and others weren't. It still basically had the alcoves.

"Is this the correct answer?" I muttered to myself.

Xiao Hua sat down on the ground, unscrewed his canteen, and took a few sips. "It's a waste of time. The answer seems surprisingly simple."

"What does that mean?" I asked as I took a closer look.

He remained silent. I wanted to keep analyzing it, but I found that I had lost my strength and my brain had completely stopped functioning.

After a long silence, he rubbed his temples and said, "It's no use thinking about it again. At this stage, it has nothing to do with us. This is probably the only result we can obtain from the Guangxi tips. Let's go back over our process and see if there are any flaws. If not, then we should hand over the baton."

I knew what he meant: we had the "clue", but the place where the clue was executed was thousands of miles away. It wasn't here, so it was useless for us to think about it anymore.

I also sat down, and the two of us slowly thought about the whole process again. In the end, we agreed unanimously that the problem wasn't that serious.

"If this is still wrong, it can only be said that they're unlucky." Xiao Hua took out his camera and started taking pictures, capturing almost every detail in the whole stone room.

I kept to the side, immediately relaxing my guard. I felt as if this was easier than all the other trips I had made before. In this way, the work would soon come to an end.

"Fuck, why do these Zhangs want to make things so complicated?" Xiao Hua asked.

"It's not complicated at all. If you think about it, you'll find that this is the only way. If we were back in ancient times, we certainly wouldn't have any idea what to do about it. You would have to draw all these things down and send them from Sichuan to Guangxi quickly. At that time, these two places were very deep in the mountains and there was no road. Do you know how long it would take to go back and forth?" I said. "It's impossible to do it in a year. Besides, there were tigers, bandits, and robbers... shit, Guangxi was basically a no-man's land. It was a place of exile for the Nanman and there was a Qiang Village, so it was impossible to enter Zhang Jialou at that time. What's more, you shouldn't forget that this tomb was moving."

"So, the Zhangs themselves were also very dangerous? Maybe several of their precious descendants died on the road. Why did they have to bury all their ancestors together and then keep moving the tomb?"

"I think it was because of necessity." I sighed.

The photos were imported into a computer, faxed to Banai using a public phone line in the nearby town, and then the man over there quickly delivered them to Granny Huo's hands.

I didn't know what they would feel when they saw these photos, but it was probably similar to what we felt when we first saw theirs.

Then, there was a long wait.

We had nothing to do. I stayed hanging in mid-air in the nest, chatting with Xiao Hua and looking at the four snow-capped mountains in the distance. Those dreamlike clouds at dusk, with the fair air and humid wind were just like a fantasy.