Chapter 29: Reverse Psychology

The three of us looked at each other, and then simultaneously looked at the skylight overhead, speechless with surprise. I frowned as I wondered what was going on. There was a brief moment where I felt as if I understood, but then I got confused again and scolded myself, I must be crazy!

As I looked at Huo Xiuxiu, who was real and definitely not an illusion, I could tell that things weren't good. Poker-face got up, jumped on the table, flipped over the top beam, opened the skylight, and went out.

Fatty and I also stood up, but we knew we couldn't copy him, so we watched from below. Huo Xiuxiu leaned over and looked at the skylight before asking, "Are there mice?"

I wasn't sure why, but we both involuntarily took a step back. She looked surprised and a little puzzled, and the people who came in with her didn't know what was going on either. She looked at the skylight curiously and then put down the items she was holding.

We could hear Poker-face walking on the roof, and after a short time had passed, he came back and dropped down into the room. When I asked him what the situation was, he shook his head, "She's gone."

Fatty grabbed his hair and immediately exploded: "Oh shit, what the fuck? Are you kidding me? What's going on? Has God rewound our lives?"

I had already calmed down and suddenly realized a possibility. I looked at Huo Xiuxiu and said: "Little Sister, are you playing with us? It's not nice to tease."

"What are you talking about?" Huo Xiuxiu frowned, "I'm kindly bringing you bedding. What kind of play are you trying to put on?"

"Weren't you just here? You suddenly said that your grandmother came, so you left through the skylight, immediately went downstairs to join the others, and pretended to arrive just now. If it's not a trick, what is it?" I asked.

Huo Xiuxiu opened her mouth wide: "What the hell? I've been here?"

I told myself it had to be true since this little girl really looked the same as the other one. I was just about to yell when Poker-face grabbed me and whispered, "It's not her."

"What?" When I turned my head, he said, "It's impossible to jump to the ground so quickly from the roof and not even be out of breath." With that said, he reached his hand out to Huo Xiuxiu's ear and touched it. "Her body temperature didn't rise."

Poker-face's judgment was generally correct, so how could we explain it? I didn't know how to react at all, and when Huo Xiuxiu asked what was going on, Fatty told her what had just happened.

After listening, Huo Xiuxiu didn't believe us at all, but she gradually started to when Fatty repeatedly stressed to her and showed her what the previous "Huo Xiuxiu" had brought.

The atmosphere in the room was very strange, and we didn't dare light the lamps for fear of being discovered. The moon was out of sight again and it was very dark and spooky. I had never felt like this before.

One of the young people who came with her muttered: "Could it be a fox?"

"Fox?"

"There's a story in my hometown that a family was going to hold a wedding, so they went to the mountain to pick up the bride. They took a long mountain road to pick her up, and when the bride got out of the car and took a few steps, everyone suddenly exclaimed. The groom looked back and saw another bride getting out of the car. The two brides were exactly the same, and even the wedding dress was exactly the same. Everyone was stunned and didn't know what was going on. Later, they called the police, but the police didn't know what to do either. An old man said that one of them definitely wasn't human, and there was only one way to tell them apart— they'd have to use a taser to shock them. Normal people would definitely fall down, but if it wasn't a human, then it would be fine. As soon as the policeman picked up the taser, one of the brides flew away at a speed too quick to be human. The old man said later that it might have been a fox."

I had goosebumps as I thought to myself, how is that possible? This guy's story is really vivid. Fatty looked at Huo Xiuxiu and asked us, "Who has a taser?"

"How dare you!" Huo Xiuxiu glared at him.

I shook my head. It had to be nonsense. In order to get them to stop talking garbage, I said, "Discounting the atmosphere just now, it's definitely not an evil spirit. I don't think one would be so boring, which means that that person must be human. We've been set up, damn it."

Looking at the current Huo Xiuxiu, I started to feel that although the girl just now was very similar to her, she was still different in some aspects: "That person must have worn a mask to trick us."

"Shit, can they really look so similar?" Fatty didn't believe it.

"If it's someone you're familiar with, certainly not. That kind of perfect mask is fiction. But we're not familiar with Xiuxiu, and we've been so nervous the entire time. Our attention wasn't on Xiuxiu so this person could muddle through as long as they were roughly similar." As I spoke, I remembered that this was the flaw Uncle Three had told me about.

Poker-face nodded in agreement and Fatty looked at Xiuxiu: "Yes, I noticed that the chest of the one just now was fuller than this one's. So, who was that little girl? Why would she do that?" To Xiuxiu he said, "Only the Huo family knows we're here, right? Is it possible any of you divulged the secret?"

Fatty had always been a skeptic.

Xiuxiu was a little unhappy when she heard this, but she showed a rare initiative and immediately made a phone call, as if she was asking her grandmother for instructions. She had only spoken a few words into the phone before she asked us, "Did you take anything from someone when you came out from Crescent Hotel?"

Fatty was just about to shake his head but then he froze. He immediately touched his pocket and took out a business card, which was the one Pink Shirt had handed him. He looked at it and handed it to a young man behind Huo Xiuxiu who put it under his nose and sniffed it. He frowned: "This is probably it."

Huo Xiuxiu took it and sniffed it: "You guys are so slack, daring to take something from someone so casually in that situation. There's a special scent on it. If they have a trained dog, you can't escape anywhere. As soon as our car came out, he surely knew that you were riding in it and followed us all the way here."

"It's that guy?" When I thought of Pink Shirt, I felt that it wasn't quite right. I walked a few laps around the room, and wondered if he had sent the girl. Why would this person be interested in our past? Was he also an insider? But it was difficult to explain that girl's actions. What she said was very reasonable, so if she was only setting us up, how could she know so much? Even the most brilliant novelist couldn't make up such a perfect story in such a short amount of time. All these actions were very superfluous.

No, either something was wrong, or there was a very complicated reason behind it. But we had only just recently wreaked havoc, so how could someone set us up like this?

Or maybe there was a very complicated fight between the Huo family and the other Beijing giants, and we had just walked right into the middle of it? But the conversation with the little girl just now was all about the Mystic Nine and us. If it was infighting, then why mention these things?

I couldn't understand it and kept muttering to myself. Huo Xiuxiu eventually said, "Forget it, it's already happened. We'll change places immediately. Bring your things and come with us."

I let out a sigh, thinking that this life of cohabitation was so unstable. Why did it have to be so hard? As soon as I went to follow, however, I saw that Fatty and Poker-face remained motionless. I paused and didn't move either.

Xiuxiu asked, "What's the matter?"

Fatty said, "Don't pretend. This fat master may not recognize someone's appearance, but I would never forget a woman's figure. Who the hell are you?"