chapter twenty-five

Start from the beginning

     Once the taxi had arrived at the bar, she paid the driver and got out. But not before the driver asked a question. It made her stop and try and come up with an answer. She eventually stuttered something out, mainly an excuse. She didn't want to get a bad name. The Senator coming to the sleazy part of town was never a good look but she knew that it would only be a matter of time before the news came out that she had caught the assassin. Then it would make sense.

     So she got out and looked around the street. Pushing her hair behind her ear, she turned and began to walk across the dura-concrete. Heading towards a bar she was more familiar with due to the odd friends she hung around with during her high school years (after Obi-Wan had left). It was still as sleazy from what she could tell from the outside and when she went inside, it was confirmed. The walls were dirty, stained. It smelt like smoke and cheap alcohol. The distinct smell of the bar made Phoenix's eyes water as she walked towards the bar. It was run-down, rough around the edges and dirty. Everywhere was dirty but she tried to ignore it. She sat down.

     A drink and then Phoenix walked to a different bar. That bar was almost exactly the same, mirroring the first one almost exactly. The only difference was the patrons and the paintings on the walls. She made it seem like she was killing time before meeting somebody. That what she needed to do. So as she sat down, she continued to check her datapad at regular intervals. Ignoring the others around her and just drinking her drink. It was around half an hour that she decided to move on. Made herself look frustrated and walk to another place. Then she could hopefully spot someone following her.

     It wasn't long until she had left the bar that she noticed a shadow stretching in front of her. A shadow that was not her own. Successfully, Phoenix had managed to lure the assassin in. She didn't know how she had managed to get so lucky but she had. It was strange that only a few hours ago she was making love to Obi-Wan. Now, she was directly disobeying everything he wanted for her. She was risking her life and what for? For nothing. She was risking her life for her people and position. She didn't know if she was noble or stupid but it was certainly one of them.

    Taking a step into an alleyway, she checked her datapad as if she was waiting for a message. She then stopped further down the alleyway, tutting to herself and she watched as the shadow just behind her stayed completely still. A smirk spreading across Phoenix's lips as she slid her datapad into her pocket. She could take this assassin on, surely.

     CRASH!

     Phoenix shrieked and ducked down. The blaster bolt barely missed her head as the garbage next to her toppled over. What had fallen? What had moved and kicked it? The noises were too much for her head and she couldn't quite concentrate on one thing.

     Then she felt someone kick her. Her body slumping forward and she was back to reality. Her palms pressed against the alley floor before she pushed herself up. Her hands scuffed from the shattered glass on the floor. She swivelled to face that assassin that was holding a blaster to her head. A smirk spread across Phoenix's face. She had got the assassin right where she wanted her. In the middle of a dark alleyway with barely any visibility. Phoenix had done plenty of training in the dark. It was how her father preferred to teach her so that meant she was prepared for anything.

     "Lovely to see you again," Phoenix said in mock formality. The assassin scoffed and pressed the cold metal of the blaster against her head harder. Giving Phoenix an unnecessary reminder of it's presence. Phoenix rolled her eyes, taking a step back which the assassin allowed her to take. Phoenix smiled and let her hands rest against her sides.

     "I'm gonna blast your brains out," The assassins responded. An attempt at formality was made but the threat was too vulgar for it to sound half-decent. It made Phoenix chuckle and she gently shook her head, glancing down at the floor before meeting the assassin's gaze. There was a lot that this assassin had to learn, clearly, not that she would get the time to do it.