CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.

Phoenix stood in the bedroom of her Senate living quarter, staring at the selection of heels she had brought with her. After a nap, she had put the blue dress on and was debating what would look the best and most regal. She heard the door to the quarters open and close which meant Jax had returned just when he said he would. 

A smile spread across her face as she placed one of the choices of heels down and opened the bedroom door to see him walking across the way. He had a small victorious smile on his face and she knew that must have been a good thing. He must have made a good deal and she could feel the pride blooming across her chest.

But before she could congratulate him, she was brought to a halt. Her eyes trailed up and down his body. He was wearing a dashing blue tuxedo with a white shirt and black and red tie. He looked handsome. But even with that belief, the thought niggled in the back of her head. She knew nothing about love and attraction. The only person she'd ever truly loved was a boy. A Padawan with a charming smile and cheeky words. A smile spread across his face when he took her in with the dress on.

"Is something wrong?" He asked as he walked over to her. She stepped back and allowed him through the door. Once he was through, he closed the door behind them both and turned to her. He took her hands, intertwining their fingers as he waited for her response.

Phoenix was still a little stunned but she eventually got her wits about her again, "I just didn't expect you to look so handsome," She admitted with a soft chuckle as she moved her hands to rest on his jacket, smoothing out the invisible wrinkles. It probably was not the right way to express what she was thinking, but it was all her jumbled brain could get out. Her eyes met his, and his smile widened.

"Are you ready, love?" He asked as he allowed her to move away. He stayed where he was, comfortable and content as he leant against the door. Phoenix nodded. She grabbed the matching heels from the floor, making the hasty decision now that he was back. Nobody was really going to see her heels, so why did it matter? In reality, It didn't. She was simply being a perfectonist.

So once she slipped on her heels and collected her clutch and shawl, she followed after him back into the living space. He wrapped the shawl around her shoulders before they walked out together. The pair walked through the Senate building, the perfect couple. The perfect display of a successful Senator and business-man. Phoenix felt the eyes on them as they walked through to the hovercar that waited.

She had to admit, she loved the attention. Most of the time she just felt like one person in the crowd that really didn't hold much significance no matter how much she tried to change the world. But in brief moments like this as they went to meet the hover car in the front of the building, she felt significant. A feeling that gave her just that extra boost of confidence. It meant she could get lost in the fantasy that she really was in love with Jax and her conflict was no longer there. She had found the man that she wanted to be with and she was content. That was the fantasy she had quickly found herself in.