CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.

Phoenix walked alongside Chancellor Palpatine. Her arms rested by her side, shoulders back, back straight. Phoenix was never from a noble background so always saw herself as having to prove her worth to the man even if she disagreed with him on many areas. He had the power. She always wanted to make a good impression on the Naboo man. He was the Chancellor and good impressions were her highest priority.

As they walked through the elaborate corridors of the Senate, Padme walked just behind, talking to Jax.  The walls towered high above them and even after being through them so many times, their beauty always amazed Phoenix. Padme and Jax seemed to have gotten into a debate. However, Phoenix wasn't paying much attention to the pair. She was a little frustrated with her fiance but knew it would pass with time. 

She wanted to be kind and friendly. That was what she always had to be. So she focused her attention on the Chancellor's words. He was asking for her opinion on the recent political divides within the Senate. Phoenix listened intently while simultaneously deciding her own stance as they walked and debated. Though Phoenix was a lot more respectful in her opinion than Padme was currently being. Phoenix couldn't blame her, Jax was a defensive and politically subversive figure.

They passed by a few windows on their walk to the Chancellor's office. The windows went from floor to ceiling and the Coruscanti sun poured in. Leaving a pleasant feeling on Phoenix's skin after spending so much time in the darkness of her ship. She hadn't realised she'd stopped until Palpatine had stopped and turned to face her. A kind smile spread across his face as he joined her side. Her gaze stayed on the window as she admired the view and basked in the sunlight. Padme and Jax were still debating though a little more quietly now a few steps away from them.

"It's marvellous, isn't it?" Palpatine said as he looked out over the city of Coruscant. It sprawled across the whole surface of the planet. Thousands of millions of people milling around and so much effort went into it, it was hard not to admire the cityscape. The lower levels of Coruscant were not the most ideal place to be and Phoenix constantly advocated to help those but they were never helped and they never breached the top levels of the city. So, there was still a sense of calm and serenity to it.

"It always leaves me in awe. I apologise for stopping us." Phoenix smiled back at the older man. He didn't seem at all bothered by the interruption and instead admired the sprawling skyline with her. Phoenix especially loved Coruscant at night when it seemed to come alive with people. Running about and shouting, laughing. It was dangerous at night but still beautiful nonetheless. People simply being happy and themselves made Phoenix feel an odd sense of joy.

"Chancellor," Padme interrupted the two who were admiring the view. Phoenix turned around and realised that both Padme and Jax were staring. Jax looked flushed and red. The colour of his face nearly matched the wallpaper behind his head, he had obviously lost the debate. Padme was a fierce debater so it was unsurprising. Padme looked rather self-satisfied but still as regal and formal as ever. She had been a Queen, after all.