How did a girl from New York City end up in Connecticut of all places?

"Brennan!' Adler called out. "Where are we going to sit for lunch this year?"

I shook my head. "You guys can pick, I'll catch you later."

I jogged up to her and gently grabbed her arm.

"Long time no see." I greeted her.

Ryan grinned. "I don't believe it. I know the DuPonts are far and few but I couldn't believe you were the Brennan DuPont."

"I could say the same for you." I moved my hand away. "Gosh, I have so many questions."

"I don't know where to start either." she agreed with me.

Wow.

This moment felt unreal.

"What the hell." I laughed. "How did you end up here? I still can't believe that you look the same just older."

Ryan looked me in the eyes. "It's been two years. I think the last time you saw me I was fifteen and still drenched myself in Juicy Couture perfume. I'm living with my grandparents now. My mom's parents."

I had a lot of questions about that but I didn't know where she was going next.

"Can we catch up after school?" I asked Ryan.

"I would love that but I have to go to work." she said as we walked down the hall.

Work?

Ryan working?

This was the same girl who would swipe her dad's Amex like no one's business.

"I know it's a foreign concept to a seventeen-year-old DuPont but you know." Ryan justified.

"Oh." my voice trailed off. "Where do you work? Maybe I can pop my head in."

She looked at me with those big blue eyes. "That juice and smoothie shop off of Tanner Road. I'll be there until eight."

"I'll be there." I assured her.

We had the same lunch shift and I took note of who she sat with. Mila, Kinsley, Quinn, Gabby, Emery, Zariah, and Ivy. Three of them were on the cheer team and I wondered if Caden hooked up with them. A girl that looked similar to Ryan walked up to her and I realized that it was her younger sister.

I couldn't believe how quickly time went by.

I also couldn't believe how excited I was to go to a juice shop later.

At four in the afternoon, I walked into Lizzy's Juice Bar and there was behind the cash register wearing a white tank top and a tennis skirt.

"Well, this is a nice gig." I commented as I looked at the empty juice shop. "Nobody is in here."

"That's what I like about it." she grinned. "Can I offer you anything? It'll be on the house."

I scanned the menu. "A berry smoothie would be great but I would like to tip the amazing worker."

"Who am I to turn down a tip?" she laughed as she began to make my smoothie.

"I saw Logan but how's Dylan and your parents?" I asked her.

Ryan immediately froze and looked up at me. "You don't know?"

"Know what?" I questioned her

She threw some fruit into the blender, turned it on, and didn't say another word until after I paid.

"I think we should sit down." Ryan suggested.

It was empty and I didn't want to argue with her since she seemed out of it.

"God where do I start?" she sighed as she ran her hands through his hair. "I'll just say it. My mom and Dylan were murdered in February and my dad was kidnapped."

My jaw dropped and I didn't know what to say.

"I know that was very blunt, but there was no pretty way to put it." Ryan added.

As much as my parents and siblings got on my nerves, I couldn't imagine losing them. Especially so tragically.

"I'm sorry." I got out. "I had no idea."

Ryan looked down. "My dad made a wrong deal or something. That's why we didn't go to East Hampton the summer before last. The money was starting to dry up and my dad's parents were furious with him. Then the situation happened. Lo, and I moved in with my mom's parents in Farmington like a week after."

"I thought someone would've told you or you would've heard about it." she fumbled with her hands.

Now I felt really stupid for not checking the news or googling her name.

I was an idiot.

"No." my voice trailed off. "Do you know who did it or where your dad is?"

She shook her head. "But I won't die until I figure that out. It seems like the police don't really care anymore since they think it's fraud gone wrong."

Then why the hell did her mom and little sister have to pay?

I had the connections and the money to help her.

She didn't seem like the vibrant Ryan that I once knew.

Her eyes didn't sparkle the same, her soul seemed a little tired, and she didn't seem at peace. So the least I could do was help her and try to give her an ounce of peace.

"I'll help you." I suggested. "I don't really know where to start but I think we can make something shake if we work together."

Ryan sat up and looked me in the eyes. "Seriously?"

"Yeah." I agreed. "Just let me know when you're free but I'll see what I can get out of my parents or what I can find through research."

"Thanks, Bren." she gave me a smile. "But how have you been? It's been a while."

I caught her up on my life which was basically the same old, same old. Judgemental and narsccistic parents, trying to not live in the shadows of my siblings, but still enjoying life.

She had to get up a few times to make teenage girls acai bowls or give middle-aged moms juice cleanses but she knew right where we left off.

I missed Ry.

She was my favorite part of the summer.

I missed lounging on the beach, exploring the Hamptons, and doing dumb shit like throwing random food into a blender to see what it would taste like.

Ryan Giudice was my first crush, friend, and kiss.

I was happy that she was back.

"You'll never believe who lives in Hartford and goes to Alderidge." I stood in the kitchen as my mom cut up onions.

"Who?" she looked up at me.

I crossed my arms and leaned against the island. "Ryan Giudice."

My mom stopped cutting the unions. "I thought she died?"

My eyes got big. "So you did know about that and didn't tell me? That was her youngest sister, Dylan that was murdered. Her mom was also killed and her dad is missing in action."

"I thought I was protecting your feelings." my mom justified. "Plus the Giudices were never any good. You see how they turned out."

Noted.