Chapter Twenty

CAN YOU PLEASE READ THIS CHAPTER AS IF GALLY ACTUALLY DIED, PLEASE AND THANK YOU <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They made it out.

Ada could scarcely believe it. Even as she crept around the WCKD lab in which every detail of their lives was being monitored by the Creators, it wasn't sinking it. She was adamant that she'd wake up at any moment, to discover that she was back in the Glade, and none of the chaos had even happened. 

Escaping the Maze was the most difficult thing Ada had ever done. She had seen far too many of her friends die to ever feel like the same person she was in the Glade.  

The group - sweaty, exhausted and now rightfully hopeful - were met with a video from WCKD's chancellor Ava Paige, in which she explained everything about the outside world. And then, Ada wondered if it would be better to have stayed in the Glade. It would certainly be more safe and less confusing.

The sun had scorched the Earth, causing billions of death and global consequences. The aftermath left the Flare. A deadly virus that infected the brain: incurable, dangerous, contagious.

And then they were born.

A new generation, seemingly immune to the virus. WCKD began working on a cure - testing the young in extreme circumstances in attempts to understand what made them different. And that's how the Maze Trials came about.

Right before Ava ended the video by brutally shooting herself, she had echoed the words, "WCKD is good." confirming Thomas' confession of working for the organisation. 

And although Ava Paige had unloaded a world of suffering, destruction and despair on them, they couldn't help but feel hopeful after the escape from the Maze. With no clue as to where they were going or could go, Thomas offered up the idea of leaving the building, and there was a unanimous vote in favour of it.

Then he appeared.

The boy Ada loved and left behind in the Glade, thinking that it would be the last she saw of him. It'd be so much simpler if it was.

"No." He choked out bitterly, the tears thick in his eyes.

He was hurting, lashing out desperately in hopes that someone would help. And she wanted to, more than anything else in the world.

Gally's whole body was shivering, despite it not being cold. Ada hadn't noticed it yet, but black veins were crawling up the side of his neck, sending the Griever's poison racing throughout his bloodstream. 

Ada moved to go towards him, longing to just give him a hug, but deciding to start with a single small step. She was afraid that if she moved too suddenly, she'd cause something awful to happen with what Gally was threatening them all with.

"Ada don't; he's stung." 

And sure enough, from Gally's hand dropped the Stinger of a Griever. The boy was now only holding a gun, already directing it up at Thomas.

Minho warned her quietly, and although Ada heard him, she still took a step forwards. Holding up her trembling hands in defence, she stared at Gally's tearstained face.

"Gally, please."

Her voice was on the verge of breaking, but she felt determined to stop Gally from hurting anyone. Despite the fact she was predominantly concerned about the gun Gally was holding in his shaking hands, she forced herself to stare at the boy's eyes in attempts to humanise him in his early state of Changing.

"Gally, it's me." She continued, not moving any closer, with the hopes that her words would be enough. "We can get out of here, it'll all be over. I promise you."