Chapter Ten

Somehow the Greenie had made it to the bonfire without being murdered by Gally.

They shared a tense interaction shortly after the Greenie was introduced to Chuck. He had wandered off towards one of the walls of the Maze, and Gally - a stickler for the rules - roughly shoved him to the ground so he didn't end up inside when the doors closed.

The Greenie didn't seem too grateful for this, whirling on the boy in a panic, but he seemed to calm down - mainly because he was confused - when the Maze doors shut. Gally promptly told the boy he'd let him leave next time, and Ada chased after him to scold him furiously.

Things seemed to calm down when the bonfire was lit up. 

Gally got drunk, sliding onto the log beside Ada, and slinging his arm around her shoulder. He barely realised he was being affectionate, but the girl found he was doing it perfectly, rather than making her uncomfortable.

The girl couldn't help but notice that Minho and Newt's feud had continued, and they were still not speaking. No one else had picked up on it - Ada found that she was surrounded by idiots - but it was plainly obvious for anyone to see.

Despite the fact Newt was sending Minho glances continually from where he was near the outskirts of the crowd, Minho didn't look his way once, almost like he was making a point of not doing so. Why was he so angry at Newt?

Ada was determined to find out.

Now, she had to think carefully about the way she went about it. Of course, Minho admitted to being smitten with the blonde boy, but Ada knew that Newt was far more likely to let down his guard to her if something was going on. He seemed to be far more in touch with his emotions.

She found the boy sat with the Greenie, a little detached from the rest of the group, talking away to the confused boy. She politely asked the newbie to find Chuck so she could speak with Newt, and she could feel the second-in-command's eyes on her as she watched the dark haired boy wander off like a lost puppy.

"What's all this about then?" He asked her suspiciously, missing the glance she took at Minho, who for the first time that evening was actually looking at Newt.

"Minho."

Newt immediately looked away from her and to the floor, taking a swig of his drink as if for courage. She took this as a bad sign.

"Why aren't you guys talking?"

He groaned in irritation, running a hand through his hair and messing it up, before chancing a glance at the Runner. Minho was now immersed in conversation with Ben, laughing away as if nothing was up.

"He maybe kinda confessed that he likes me."

Ada nearly choked on air then. Of all the things she expected him to say, it wasn't that Minho actually admitted his feelings to Newt. And clearly, it seemed to have gone badly.

She was confused by this. From the way Newt had been acting all evening, she would've expected him to feel the same way.

"Well, what happened then?" She asked expectantly, but Newt was staring at her in awe.

"You're not surprised." He stated, but it seemed more like a question than a fact.

She shrugged, face going red as Newt began to figure out why. He shoved her shoulder lightly, shaking his head in disapproval.

"You knew. You knew, and you didn't tell me!"

She let out a harsh laugh then, thinking back to the flirtatious remarks they would throw at each other constantly. She chose not to bring it up when they were obviously not on speaking terms.