Chapter 14: One Step Closer

"Okay, so the 'how' works. Now we gotta figure out the when and the where. Almost all of us have had an encounter with at least one of the six Infinity Stones," Steve says. We were all in the meeting room, now figuring out the times best to go. I was leaning against the wall, away from everyone, thinking about all of the little experiences I've had with the Infinity Stones.

"Well, I'd substitute the word encounter for damn well near being killed by one of the six Infinity Stones," Tony says.

"I haven't, I don't even know what the hell you're talking about," Scott says, looking completely lost. He looks over to me, and just shakes my head, telling him that that's not important information to share.

"Regardless, we only have enough Pym Particles for one round trip each, and these stones have been in a lot of different places throughout history," Bruce says.

"Our history. So, not a lot of convenient spots to just drop in," Tony says.

"Which means we have to pick our targets," Clint adds, leaning against the wall, not that excited about the research.

"Let's start with the Aether. Thor what do you know?" Steve asks. I looked at Thor, who was sitting in the corner of the room, one hand holding a beer, and the other in his pants.

"Is he asleep?" Natasha asks.

"No, no. I'm pretty sure he's dead," Rhodey says. Thor woke up, and went to the front of the room, ready, or unprepared for his presentation. He started going on about Dark Elves, and his ex, and honestly just bored me out with no information.

Then Thor starts to tear up, and I thought it was time to end this. I step in front of him and say, "hey big guy, I think we got enough."

"I'm not done yet. The only thing permanent in life is impermanence," he says, and I sigh. I could smell the alcohol in his breath, and from the years as a bartender I knew he needed something to drink.

"Great. Do you want anything? Eggs, breakfast?" I ask.

"I'd like a Bloody Mary, thank you," he says.

I look back to Steve, and he nods. "Alright, Bloody Mary it is," I say, and get him out of the room. The next couple of days we tried figuring out different dates that the Infinity Stones were in different locations.

I was mostly at the bar for two reasons. 1, everyone who was in the meeting room had the same or more experience with the stones, and 2, making Thor drinks, or anyone else who wanted some so Thor would cry thinking about Jane or anyone else he lost.

Thor was passed out at the bar, and so I made my way back to the meeting room, to see how the process was going. I got in, and just saw Steve standing at the front of the monitors with everyone's pictures on it, and three categories.

"You have the dates?" I ask.

"Yea. We have the Soul and Power Stones somewhere in space in 2014. The Reality Stone in Asgard 2013, and the Space, Mind, and Time Stones in New York City, 2012, after the Battle of New York," he says. "I'm just trying to figure out the groups."

"It's easy if you think about it," I say, and he stares at me. "Well, we should have Rocket and Thor go to Asgard. Thor grew up there, and Rocket made the contraption to pull the Aether out of Jane."

I continued, "Nebula should go to space, because she lives there, and she can take a group of people with her. I should go to 2012 since no one knows my face yet, since we will have to go face to face with the Avengers back then. You can choose everyone else."

"Yea, yea, that's good," he says. "Bruce should go talk to Dr. Strange, you know, smart person to smart person."

"Make sense," I say. "Tony should go to 2012 too, that was his building he created, plus he's gadget smart, he can use something to create a distraction. Oh, and I want tiny dude to come with us."

"Do you have a reason why you want Lang to go with you?" Steve asks, chuckling slightly at my excitement.

"If I'm going to have to deal with Tony, I want a tiny dude," I say, making him chuckle.

"So, then theirs me, Rhodey, Nat and Clint," he says, taking a second to think. "Maybe Nat should go with you guys, always good with staying undetected."

"Do you really want to go to space, again?" I ask, eyeing him.

"I'm sure Clint would enjoy it, he hasn't gone yet," he says, obviously trying to change the subject.

"Mmhm, you don't want to go. Then Rhodey, Clint and Natasha go to space, and you'll go to 2012," I say, moving everyone in their categories. "Looks good?"

"Yeah, looks good," he says.

"Good enough to get them back?" I ask, still hesitant on everything.

"We'll see. Get everyone in here," he says.

"Yes sir," I say. I went back into the main room, where everyone was chilling and announced, "we got it. Let's go." We got back to our room, and everyone gathered in.

"Alright, we have a plan. Six Stones, three teams, one shot," Steve says, and everyone nodded. "Suit up." One step closer. One step closer to happiness. One step closer to the stones. One step closer to Wanda. One step closer to Pietro. One step closer to getting my heart broken when it doesn't work.