Chapter 8: Tony's Return

We went into the one of the meeting rooms, and Bruce got some stuff for Tony, since he was incredibly thin. I brought up the causality list, basically everyone who disintegrated that we knew. "It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth," Rhodey says.

Natasha who was standing next to me says, "World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census." I then saw a picture of Pietro pop up, and take a shaky deep breath.

"Well, it looks like he did it. He did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent of all living creatures," I say, disgusted by what he did.

"Where is he now?" Tony says.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked right through," Steve says, who was trying to stay calm, even though he was hurting.

"What's wrong with him?" Tony says, pointing to Thor, who was sitting in the corner of the room, eyes locked to the floor.

"He's pissed. He thinks he failed," I say.

"Which of course he did but you know there's a lot of that going around, ain't there," Rocket says, not helping Thor at all.

"Honestly until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear," Tony says, and Rocket agrees.

"We've been hunting Thanos down for three weeks now. Deep Space scans, satelites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him," Steve says, getting back to the important topic.

"Who told you that? I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street Magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight. He's unbeatable," Tony says.

"Did he give you any clues, coordinates, anything?" Steve asks.

"I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision, I didn't want to believe it. Thought I was dreaming," Tony says, starting to get tense.

"Tony, we are going to need you to focus," Steve says.

"And I needed you. As in past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late buddy, sorry. You know what I need?" Tony says, and stands up, pushing stuff out of the way. "I need to shave. And I believe I remember tell all you-" Tony goes for Steve, and stumbles, and Rhodey comes over to stop and help him.

"Alive and otherwise what we needed was a suit of armor around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not- that's what we need," Tony says.

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?" Steve says. I was going to jump in, saying something that this is not a time to fight, but Tony beat me saying something else.

"I said, 'we'd lose', you said, 'we'll do that together too'. And guess what, Cap? We lost, and you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers, we're the Avengers. Not the Prevengers, right?" Tony says, and Rhodey tries to stop him and make him sit down.

"Nah, nah, here's my point. You know what? She's great by the way," pointing to Carol Danvers, who brought Tony back. "We need you, you're new blood. Bunch of tired old mules."

Tony walks up to Steve and says, "I got nothing for you, Cap! I got no coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust, liar," Tony says, and I could tell it was hurting Steve. Tony takes off his Arc Reactor from his chest, and shoves it into Steve's hand.

"Here, take this. You find him, put that on, you hide," Tony says. Then he starts to fall. Steve starts to help, but Tony pushes away, insisting he's okay, but then he falls to the ground unconscious.

Bruce and Rhodey check on him, and Steve was about to, but I pull him away, knowing he's hurt by everything that he just said. "It's not your fault, you know that right?" I whisper to him, as we walk away from the scene.

"Sometimes I can't help but think what would happen if I stayed," Steve sighs, and sits down in the nearest chair. The picture of Bucky popped up on the hologram, and Steve shuts it down. "Would he be gone?"

"We all made the decision to leave, so it's all of our faults for leaving. He shouldn't be taking out his anger on you just because we lost. We can't be expected to win every fight," I say.

"But we should," Steve says. I just sigh, and put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him.