twenty-one | airports and sun

Start from the beginning

The only person I needed right now was my mom. I needed to hold onto her and never let go, but she also happened to be the reason why I was doing this. I wouldn't let him hurt her again, not like he used to.

Tears escaped my eyes as I wiped them hastily. I couldn't think what he would need from me, I didn't owe him anything in my life.

He owes me a life I have lived without a good and loving father. He ruined my mother's life and kept her on a constant edge for fifteen years, wondering when he would be released and come after her again. My father was like a recurring nightmare that never went away.

My mind suddenly went into overdrive as I panicked again and searched online for the earliest flights to Florida. I knew it was crazy, but I needed to do this for my mom, and I didn't care what the repercussions would be back onto me.

I pulled the credit card mom had given me for emergencies out of my purse and typed in the details. Once she knew what this was for, she would understand why I needed to go.

Frantically throwing clothes and items into a backpack, I changed into some black jeans and a white shirt. I tied my hair into a high ponytail and took the make up off of my face.

Knowing that nobody else would be home except Caleb, I could sneak out without being noticed. Jake could've been upstairs and I really don't want to leave them two alone, but I cared more about my mother and feared what my father would do.

I tip-toed down the stairs, trying to make as little noise as possible. Caleb was thankfully away from the living room, and at this point, I didn't really care where he was. I had one objective and it was all I cared about.

Taking a deep breath, I placed my phone onto the counter beside the front door and opened it, walking out into the freezing cold air.

I had only one bag and my driving license with me to check in, so I walked towards my car and with one last sigh, I drove the car up the street and to the airport where the tears began to flow heavily down my cheeks.

• • •

"Flight 6832 to Miami, Florida, now boarding." The woman over the intercom spoke as I tightened my grip on my backpack strap. "Please make your way to gate four," she finished, blasting the loud noise in my ears when the intercom was turned off.

It was just around midnight and I knew that Mike and Katherine would be home by now. I couldn't leave a note because they were the type of people to come looking for me, and this was something I needed to do on my own.

I couldn't let people I cared about, become involved with my father. He was an evil man, and despite the fact that I didn't know him well, I was still his daughter and that had to mean something to him.

Emotions were once again taking over so I wiped my eyes to stop anymore tears. Grabbing my hand backpack, I walked towards the gate and gave the woman my ID.

"Enjoy your flight," the woman that was checking the tickets said to me with a bright smile on her lips. I fake smiled back at her before walking through the tunnel towards the plane.

Pushing through a few people, I finally reached my seat and placed my bag underneath the seat in front of me. I couldn't even relax when I laid my head back against the seat. My body was tense and on edge about meeting my father.

Luckily, I had booked a late seat and nobody was sat next to me, last I checked anyway. That also meant that for the next five to six hours, I could just sleep and rest, and hopefully not think about my father for as long as possible.

Worrying about what Mike and Katherine would think was the least of my worries. I had my father to deal with and he was ten times scarier than having to face them after running away.

Pulling out a book, I began to read to help myself to fall asleep as the plane took off. It was my least favourite part of the plane journey because I felt my body being lifted from my seat and I felt unsafe.

"Can I get you anything, miss?" One of the flight attendants asked from beside me, she had brown hair tucked into a bun at the back of her head and her make up was done perfectly like it was applied by a professional.

"Um, can I just have a water please," I asked, craving something to moisten my throat. It felt dry with how much I had been swallowing. I was nervous and I couldn't help the sick feeling in my stomach that just wouldn't go away.

After the seatbelt sign went off, I pulled my tray down and drank the water I was given before closing my eyes and placing the blanket provided by the plane over me so I could actually get some sleep.

"Welcome to Florida," the male flight attendant spoke over the intercom, interrupting my long sleep. "We are beginning our descent into Miami, Floria, so please fasten your seat belts and thank you for travelling with us today, we hope you see you flying with us again soon."

When the plane finally landed, I felt my body tense again as I was suddenly reminded of my father and having to see him again. I played with my hands as various people stood up to collect their bags and walk off the plane.

I stayed until last before I finally left and the heat of the Florida sun hit me.

What was I getting myself into?