thirteen | chemistry and crying

Flora King

Flora King

I don't think I could actually fully describe how much I hated Monday's. Having chemistry was just an added part to make my day even worse than it already was. "Hey Flora," Caleb walked up to me as I made my way to class. He seemed rather happy, seeing as he was always usually in some kind of bad mood over something.

"Hey," I replied, smiling lightly back at him. He opened the door for me and waved me in. "How did you enjoy the party on Friday?" Caleb asked inquisitively whilst smirking, knowing something that I definitely didn't. I gulped back slightly at the remembrance of the night.

He was giving me funny looks as he waited for my answer. "It was fine," I swallowed back the guilt from sleeping with James and pushed it to the back of my mind. I couldn't think about that right now, it was something that I don't think I ever wanted to think about again.

As long as Gabby didn't find out, James and I could just forget about it and the guilt would soon disappear, hopefully.

When we finally sat down in our seats, I thought about the person that had been worse off in this whole situation. James' smiled crept into my mind as I thought about him. I felt incredibly bad for him. He didn't deserve to be the punching bag for something that I had done. I was the one that slept with him, yet he still ended up worse because of it.

Before, when we were walking to our seats, we had noticed something rather unusual with the seating arrangement in the class. Gabby wasn't sitting in her usual place. She was now sitting right at the front and Mr Davies had allowed her to. Of course, being the teachers pet to him, she had the ability to get around that kind of thing.

Then I thought about it in my mind. I couldn't get angry or mock Gabby. What I've done to her will probably haunt me for the rest of my life and I will have to make it up to her without her actually ever finding out. It was eating me alive by the second.

"What's her problem?" I asked Caleb as we began pulling out various books and notes for the class beginning in a few minutes. "Not sure," Caleb said quickly, keeping his head down. He definitely knew something I didn't.

Nobody at the moment seemed to be on good terms with each other. In the space of a few days, everything had turned completely upside down. And I think its mainly due to a certain boy turning up at the start of the year.

• • •

After a lesson of pure torture, having to listen to different chemistry related things and staring at the back of Gabby's head, I was finally too frustrated and wanted to ask her why she was being so distant and stubborn today. I guessed she was still upset about her small disagreement with James, but I couldn't tell.

As soon as the bell rang, she almost sprinted out of the room, attempting to get away from everyone. Luckily, my seat could see the doors to the girls bathroom on the other side of the hall to the classroom and I watched as she stormed inside, looking angrier than I had ever seen her before.