troubles over troubles over troubles

a m b r o s e

I was holding Winnie's hand while we walked into the grocery store on our way home. She looked so giddy just simply coming here that I figured I'd spoil her to the best of my ability.

"Stay close to me, Winnie. I don't want to lose you." She nodded her head and gripped onto my hand tighter while I grabbed a basket with my left hand. "Alright, what do you want to eat tonight?"

"Chicken nuggets!" She squealed with a jump, tugging on my hand. "And ice cream!"

I laughed. "Alright, I'll buy you one thing of ice cream, but you have to wait for me to grab everything else, ok?"

She nodded. "I can wait!"

I grinned, setting down the basket to pat her head. "Thank you, Winnie. Now, do you want to eat some bananas for lunch? I think I'll make some noodles."

We walked around the store, picking out food for the next week or so. They were all cheap. I hadn't gotten my paycheck from the library yet, so I had to scrape by with a little less food this week. It was worth it though, to see her so happy.

I pushed her into the row of ice cream. "Go on, Winnie. Pick out which flavor you want."

I watched as she would press her nose up against the frosty door to try and read the flavors, looking up at me and pointing at the door before I would come up to her and tell her the names.

I grabbed her a tub of cake batter while grabbing myself a tub to mint chocolate chip from the blaring red bogo deal under the price. There was an elderly woman working the counter and I frowned, wishing an elderly person such as herself shouldn't have to work, especially this late.

"Hey, hun." She greeted me with a warm smile while grabbing my thinks and running them under the price tag. "How's your night going?"

"Good!" Winnie squealed, jumping up. "I get ice cream!"

I chuckled softly to myself, shaking my head, glancing down at her name tag that showed off a bold Martha. It seemed Martha was also quite humored by Winnie's little antics.

"Better than I thought it would. What's got you out here so late at night?"

She sighed, tilting her head slightly from side to side as if pondering whether or not to explain. "Nothing better to do than take up extra shifts when your house is all lonely."

My heart squeezed for her. I wouldn't wish loneliness on my worst enemy. I fell silent, unable to give her a response, Winnie did it for me.

"We can make the house less lonely! It's no fun being alone!"

Martha grinned, laughing at Winnie while she rattled off my total. I grabbed my wallet that was dwindling with funds. After this grocery trip, I'd have some spare cash but that was about it. I handed her my total of fifty bucks in scattered loose bills.

She handed me my change and my receipt, scribbling down something on the back. "Call if you ever need help with that little one there. It's hard taking care of kids when you're young. I'd be glad for some company here and there."

I grinned at here and nodded. "I'll give you a call, Martha. I hope to see you soon."

She gave me a smile and bid me good night. I hoped that her words would come true. I held my groceries in one hand and held Winnie's with the other.