mystery boy and winnie the pooh

a m b r o s e

I watched as he entered the library without fail. His eyes didn't meet any others', striding past to the shelves of books lined up in rows. He was silent, like he was every other day. Today, though, I had a feeling-I couldn't tell if it was a good or bad thing, but something was going to happen. My eyes followed his retreating form until it was hidden behind the books, making disappointment course through me. I averted my eyes to the wood in front of me at the checkout in our small local library, waiting and watching to see if he would come back into my sight. It was a lost cause but hey, a guy can dream.

I worked at the library from after class ended to until it closed, letting me witness his arrival and departure every day I worked. it was one of the reasons why I still worked here.

I was snapped out of it when a little kid with this huge stack of books came waddling up to my desk, trying her best to put them on my counter. I giggled a bit before I leaned over and took her stack of books.

She gave me a big toothy grin, one of her front teeth missing. "Thank you, mister! I'm Winnifred! But that's a mouthful. What 'bout you?"

"I'm Ambrose." I found myself amused at her cuteness. "What can I do for you, princess?"

She gasped with eyes wide open, whispering out loudly, "Princess? Oh no, mister, I think you've got it all wrong!" She shoved a thumb to her puffed out chest. "I'm a Knight-and I'm going to save everyone!"

I gasped, happily playing along with her and bringing out a false olden time accent to accompany our acting. "My my, Dame Winnifred, I didn't realize you were here!" I placed a hand across my chest and have her a small bow. "I'm honored. How may I assist you?"

She giggled and I shared a large grin with her. "I just need some books to check out! My mommy tells me to stay here so she won't have to pick me up. She says I have to wait till Daddy is asleep first and then I can go home."

My grin froze at what she said, horror sinking into my bones when the unsettling realization hit me. "Oh, is that so?" She gave me a big nod, her joy unwavering. "Then would you like to stay with me for now? I'll let you read all the books you want until your mommy calls you home."

Her wide grin and bounciness made my heart hurt. Her blissful ignorance tugged at my heart, willing the unwelcome tears to my eye.

"Oh, I'd love that, mister! Would you really let me?"

"Yes I would. Anything for my Knight." I handed her the books and ruffled her hair. "Now, why don't you go wander around and see if you can find anymore treasures and then come back to read all you want?"

I had never seen her nod her head so quickly and bounce off, leaving her books behind on my desk. What an innocent little girl, I pitied her. I grabbed my flip phone and dialed my mom.

"Hey, honey! What's up?" My mom's cheerful voice just reminded me of Winnifred's.

"I-" I took a deep breath before trying to explain everything. "There's this little kid I met while at the library. Winnifred. I...I think something is going on at her home. I...I want to take her in."

Silence hung between us and I almost regretted it until I heard my mother's small voice reply back, "What trouble is she in?"

"I don't know, but she told me her mom doesn't want to pick her up and she can't go home till her dad is asleep." I let out a low sigh and pinched the bridge of my nose. "I have a hunch about this mom, there's something going on there."

"You know I always believe your hunches, but how are you going to take care of her? I don't live with you anymore and I live a few hours commute away from you. You barely have enough money to sustain yourself and you refuse to let me help."