January at Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

"Of course George. I would love to."

She kissed him on the cheek once more and then hurried off. George turned back to the newspaper. "What's got into-" he was cut off by reading the headline for himself. "Oh. That's why she's in a panic."

"Not just her." Lee sighed, "The whole schools worked up." 

"Has Fred seen this yet?" 

"Yeah, I got the copy of the newspaper from him." 

George nodded in understanding, and then looked longingly at the great hall doors. Where was she off too?

Lyra had stopped in the hall, catching her breath. She closed her eyes and reached out, desperate to find him and make sure he was okay. It took a minute, but she thought she felt him in the library and took off running.  

Neville was exiting the library when she arrived. She slid to a stop a little ways down the hall. His head was down, so he didn't see her.

"Neville!" she said and started towards him again.  He looked up just in time for her to collide with him in a fierce hug.

He stumbled back, a bit shocked before hugging her back. "L-Lyra?" 

"You don't have to worry," she said into his chest. 

His mood shifted, realizing what was going on. His shame and frustration were iron hot burning her heart painfully as she clung to him tightly. "Ly-"

"Shut up," she said cutting him off and stunning him into silence. "I don't pity you, or are ashamed, or anything stupid like that so if that's what you're going to say just shut up Longbottom." 

He was silent, not knowing what to say. The burning within him cooled, and simply wrapped his arms tighter around her and hugged her back. "I'm sorry Lyra... I didn't mean to keep pushing you away."

"It's my fault too," she sighed. "Neville, there's something I have to tell you... and apologize for."

"You don't have anything-"

"No. I do... Earlier this year, Fred and George told me that you had a crush on me... and instead of asking you about it, or being honest with how I felt about you, I just ran away from it. I distanced myself first... and that wasn't right. I should have told you that I knew when I did. I just didn't want to make things awkward between us and most of all I didn't want to hurt you more than you were already hurting." tears were in her eyes now, but she blinked them away. 

He leaned away breaking their hug and gave her a sad smile. "You don't need to say sorry Lyra, It's not like I ever told you how I felt. It's not a big deal anyway, I'm just happy we're friends so don't get upset about it." 

"Listen, I know you're not going to believe me, but I need to tell you anyway." she grabbed his hand, and he looked at her shocked and a bit frightened. Not sure exactly what was happening as her emotions flowed into him. "You aren't how you see yourself, Neville Longbottom. From the moment I met you I knew who you were even if you didn't. I could feel it within you, certain greatness similar to what your parents had before you, but entirely your own. Your brave, and kind, and one of the first real friends I ever made here."  

Neville turned pink, and he knew she meant it. She wasn't saying it to make him feel better, she said it because she believed it. "T-Thanks Lyra."

she let go of his hand, blushing a bit herself. "Of course, and listen, you don't have to do this alone okay? We'll get stronger together, I'll work twice as hard at DA meetings too okay?"

He smiled "Y-yeah."

Lyra was in a much better mood when George found her again later studying in a nook of the library. "You seem a lot more cheerful than at breakfast."