Every Second Counts (8)

Chapter 8

"I want to go home," I mumbled to myself as I took a seat on the same couch I had been sitting on when I had first woken up. I leaned back, sinking into the deep purple cushions as I hugged my knees up to my chest. 

"I'm insane," I said loudly as I groaned and leaned my head back against the couch. I ran my fingers through my long hair as I closed my eyes for a brief second. I haven't even been here for more than an hour and I have already gone slightly insane. Firstly, I am stuck in a school with a jerk a used to call my best friend. Secondly, I was talking to myself. Insane. 

"I need to get out of here," I excalimed suddenly as I jumped up from off the ugly, purple couch. I ran my fingers through my hair again before I fixed my large sweater. I strode over to the door to the teacher lounge, yanking it open with a hard pull. 

I suddenly felt extremely tired, and looking out the large window they had above the lockers I noticed that the snow was coming down like crazy now. It wasn't even dark yet, but I was ready to just go home and curl up under my blanket. I wanted oh so badly to just fall asleep as soon as my head hit my comfy pillow. 

I sighed as I started walking off down the hallway. It was even colder out here. I slid my hands into the sleeves of my sweater and I wrapped them around my body. I wanted to leave. I just wanted to go home now. I sighed for about the sixth time in just the last half an hour. 

I decided that I would head over to the gym and see what extra clothes they had there so that I could keep myself warm. Hopefully the extra clothes didnt smell too bad from sitting near the gym almost all year. I just hope they were still there. 

As I got closer to the gym, I could pretty much smell everything that the classes had done for the lat two weeks. The place absolutely wreaked, and I couldn't believe that anyone actually went in there. I should have brought a container of air freshener or something with me. 

"Ew!" I nearly shrieked as I shoved open the door to the gym.

Don't get me wrong, I love sports, and especially running. I love everything about sports, except for the nasty smell of this gym. It wasn't anywhere else, it was just this gym. I swear they must not ever clean it. Which is disgusting. 

Anyways, I was just going to have to suck it up if I wanted to get the extra clothes. So, sucking in as much of  the air I could get, I slowly walked into the gym. Of course after about three seconds I was forced to release the air in my lungs and take in a new breath. As I sucked in the nasty air, I practically ran across the gym and into the little office where they kept the spare clothes. 

I reached the huge bin that they had sitting on the floor beside on of the teachers desks. I yanked it open and noticed the huge pile of clothes they had all stacked up perfectly. I grinned to myself like the crazy person I was as I looked through all the clothes. 

They had anything from t-shirts, to sweatpants. Of course since this was a gym they had many extra outfits of the school gym uniform. They also had the sweatpants with the school logo on it, and one extra sweater in there. I swear this wasn't really the extras bin, the teachers had to be hiding it and keeping it for themselves or something because the clothes were too good. 

I grabbed the sweatpants, sliding them on overtop of my navy blue jeans. I grabbed the extra sweater before I ran across the gym and was soon out of there. I was relieved that I coudl finally breathe good, clean air again. 

I slowly made my way back to the teachers lounge. I still held the sweatshirt in my arms, not really sure why I picked it up. I mean, it wasn't even my size. I didn't want to bring it back now since I was already almost back. At least i could keep it with me and use it later or something. 

Anyways, as I was walking back towards the teachers lounge, where they had a comfy yet ugly couch, I was finally almost back when i began to smell something weird. It smelt strange, and kind of stung the back of my throat causing my head to hurt. 

The person I am decided that I should go investigate or something. It could have been something extremely dangerous, or something stupid, but either way I wanted to find out. 

I decided to listen to my stupid side of the brain, the one that doesnt think before it acts, and I followed after the strange smell. It reminded me of the campfire or something, and the air was all smokey. 

That's when it clicked. 

Fire. 

"Tristian!" I immediately yelled out I began running towards the source of fire. I had no clue what was going on, but I knew I had to get there fast. The only other idoit who was stuck in this school with me was nowhere to be found, so I started to panick a little. 

I know, why the heck would I run towards it when I should really be running in the opposite direction? Again, its my stupid brain that likes to act before I can even think about it. I didn't even know what I was about to be running into, but all I knew was that my legs didn't want to stop.

I ran towards where I thought the fire was, and I went to swing the door open except it wouldnt budge. Of courseI decided I would try to open the door right next to it, just incase the fire was coming from there. The teachers lounge. 

I swung open the door, letting it slam into the wall as I stepped inside. There was smoke rising up from a firein the room and I coushed once, hating the stupid smell and staste the smoke left on me. What I saw made my eyes nearly pop out of my head,

"Tristian!" I screeched as I ran full speed into the center of the room.