Every Second Counts (5)

Chapter 5

I leaned my head against the brick wall of the school. I was probably dying from the cold right now but I knew I couldn't leave. If Tristian wasn't being such a jerk, I would be inside the school, happily learning whatever it was that we were suppose to learn today. Instead, I was stuck outside in the freezing cold. 

I could feel the strong winds picking up and nipping at my skin. I really did regret wearing the sweater I had on and not wearing my extra coat. I just pulled my knees even closer to me as I hugged myself. I didn't want to move, only because my limbs would probably fall off if I did. So I did nothing but just sit there. I don't even know how long its been, but its felt like ages waiting out here. 

I wanted to cry, and scream, and just curl up into an even tighter ball as I leaned against the wall. Intsead, I just leaned against the bricks, practically motionless as I stared at the snow falling down from the dark clouds above. The snow slowly drifted down until it carefully landed on the ground. It was then brushed aside by the strong, cool winds that seemed to hit everything it its path. 

I could feel my eyes slowly closing as I watched the snowflakes drift down again. I struggled to keep my eyes open, and I could see black spots now dotting my vision as my eyes began to close again. My eyelids felt heavy as I laughed slightly to myself before they continued to close.

"Adriana!" I heard a voice call, and I looked up in a sleepy daze. My eyes were just open enough to see a tall figure standing in front of me. 

I was suddely flying. 

I had actually just been lifted up off the ground and pretty much jolted awake. Of course my head was pounding, my legs could barely even hold me up, and I had watery eyes. Gorgeous, I know. I felt as if I was going to faint or something as I stood there. I felt as if I was slowly swaying back and forward, my eyes hardly able to stay open.  

"Adriana," the voice said quietly in front of me and that was when it felt like my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I suddenly tumbled to the ground. 

The funny thing was that I hadn't fainted. I was still conscious and breathing so that was at least a good sign. I hadn't felt myself land on the hard ground either, so I was kind of unaware of what was going on. I tried to open my eyes, and keep them open as I heard muffled sounds. 

"Adriana wake up," I heard a deep, faint voice say. I struggled to open my eyes but finally did. I honestly felt like I was flying and couldn't figure out why exactly. 

Once my eyes came back into focus I had to blink what felt like every two seconds to be able to at least partially see again. When I did, however, open my eyes things were blury at first as if they were moving. Everything seemed to move as if I was walking past it. Of course this only made my head hurt and I immediately leaned it back against the brick wall of the school behind me, except the wall wasn't made of bricks this time. 

I looked up, craining my neck to try and see the wall when instead I was met with the piercing green eyes of Tristian Pederson. 

This time, I think I really did faint.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I finally regained myself, and my sanity when I woke up again. I leaned forward, ready to sit up, until I felt two hands on my shoulders, pushing me back down onto whatever I was lying on. I looked over frantically at the person who had just pushed me back down; Tristian. 

I mumbled something incoherent as I leaned back down on what I realized was a couch. I must have been in the teachers lounge or something. I mean, what classroom would have a random couch at the back? None in this building. Since when did we even have a couch in the school, or the teachers lounge in the first place? 

Wait. How the heck did I manage to finally get inside!?

"Tristian!" I exclaimed, shooting up into a sitting position. I felt dizzy almost immediately and I had to keep still, only keeping myself up by leaning on my arms. My head pounded as I tried not to die right then and there. 

"Yes?" I heard a voice ask beside me and I snapped my head in that direction. There sat Tristian.

He was straddling one of those cheap plastic chairs that all the students were forced to sit on throughout the day. He had his hands clasped together as his arms stretched out in front of him, showing off his very large biceps. His shirt was tight on him and it showed off how muscular and defined he was.

"Are you checking me out?" Tristian asked and I immediatly looked away, a sligt blush rising on my cheeks.

I didn't say anything and just sat there in dead silence. You could hear the wind whistling around outside, and that honestly scared me. I didn't want to be here, but I knew I had to or else I would never hear the end of it from my mom. I just wish Tristian hadn't have been such a jerk and would have opened the door for me sooner. 

As if reading my mind Tristian suddenly seemed to burst. "Why did you sit outside the door that whole time? Are you stupid or something!? You could have froze to death or gotten frost bite or whatever the heck its called! You should really think before you do something as stupid as that!"

I sat there, staing down at my fiddling thumbs. Tristian just seemed to pour all of his anger out on me, but I know I did act stupidly and that I really shouldn't have done what I did. He was right, I really am stupid. 

"Sorry," I mumbled. I heard Tristian take a deep breath and I looked up at him. He leaned back, seeming more relaxed now that he got all of that out. I watched as he pushed a lose strand of his dark hair back, and out of his eyes. His electric green eyes then shot up to me and I quickly looked away. 

"Why did you sit there?" He asked, breaking the silence in the room. 

"My mom would kill me if she found out I wasn't at school," I sighed. What wait? Why did I just tell him that!? 

"So you waited by the door?" 

"I thought you would come back!" I exclaimed, taking Tristian by surprise. "Obviously you didn't."

"I didn't come back?" He asked, disbelief written all over his face.  "How else do you think you got in here?"

I've always hated when he was right.