Every Second Counts (11)

Chapter 11

It probably took me half an hour to figure out how to use the stupid lighter Tristian had given me. It was currently sitting beside me on the floor, untouched for awhile now. I watched as the flames flickered in front of me, as our small fire slowly grew with the more pages we threw in.

I tried to sit as far away from Tristian as possibly. Of course I couldnt go too far back because then I wouldnt feel the warmth of the fire anymore. So it ended up that I was curled up, my arms wrapped around my legs as they were pulled tightly against me. Directly across our little fire sat Tristan, rested his head against his knees.

I could practically feel his eyes staring across at me as I watched the flickering flames in front of me. The oranges and the reds were just so captivating and I didnt want to look away from the mystery of our small fire.

I knew if I did look up though, Tristian would be staring at me with his sharp, bright green eyes. I wouldnt be able to look away if I did look up, so I was avoiding it as much as I could. That is until he spoke and I was forced to look at him. 

"Adriana," Tristian said, his voice low and very alluring. When I looked up at him, his eyes were soft and  the corners of his mouth were pulled up into a cute, small grin. "How are you?"

"How am I?" I echoed quietly. Everything that happened over the past few years suddenly came rushing back to me. I could feel the tears begin to form but bit my lip to hold them back.

I paused, taking in a deep breath of air as I looked back up at Tristan. I surprised myself as I felt a smile slowly creep across my face. 

"Im good," I told Tristian, the honesty clearly in my words. I breathed out a sigh as my posture relaxed slightly. 

"Thats good," he replied and I almost melted at the softness of his words. He suddenly stood up and ran  his fingers through his hair, making it messy and stick up in all different directions. Why did he always do that?

I watched as Tristan walked to the other side of the room. I could hardly see him anymore since the only light was the one coming from the small fire I was sitting beside. I could just make out his slim, strong built against the dark shadows behind.

Tristian seeme to disapper into the shadows, and it was hard to follow his movements at times. As much as I didnt want to admit this, I wanted him to stay with me. It was scary sitting alone over here, the only light coming from the flickering fire as the shadows all around seemed to creep closer. 

"Tristian," I whispered as I looked into the dark corner he had disapperaed into. I could here the quiet shuffling before he steped out of the dark again. 

I watched with wide eyes as Tristian made his way back over to where I sat. I couldnt help but notice that he was carying a blanket in his one arm. 

I almost smiled to myslef as Tristian plopped himself down, swiftly and easily landing on the floor beside me. He sat in silence for a minute, staring at the fire as I couldnt help but look at him. 

His eyes were bright even in the dark, and they were surounded with dark, thick eyelashes that made his eyes stand out even more. His skin was the perfect shade for him, not too dark but also not too light. It was just perfect for him. HIs mouth was pulled up slightly and you could see his light  pink lips jutting out a little as he stared down at the fire. 

I was surprised when Tristian suddenly turned to me, throwing the blanket around my shoulder and pulling me closer to him all in one swift movement. 

I was currently pressed up against Tristians side, his arm stared around my waist as the other one pulled the blanket around the both of us. I was wrapped up in the blanket, leaning against Tristian's side and realized that everything was going to be okay.

I tried my best to control the tears that were threatneing to fall as I leaned my head down against his shoulder. I closed my eyes as I felt go tense for a second before relaxing and pulling me even closer to his warm body. I moved my body closer to his, curling up against his side as I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck. 

As weird as this sounds, he smelt nice. I mix of mint and  different spices. I couldnt help it when I breathed in his sent and let out a sigh of relief. I felt safe as I leaned against Tristan. not bothering to say anything to him as I tried to snuggle closer. For wormth of course. No othr reason. Yup, just warmth. 

As I sat there, my head leaning against Tristians shoulder, and his one arm wrapped tightly around my waist, holding me against him. As we were both snug under the blanket, getting al the warmth we could from each other and the fire in front of us, I couldnt help but stop the blush rising up on my cheeks. 

I tried hiding my flamming cheeks my staring down at the fire and making sure not to look over at Tristan. Who knows, maybe he wasnt even looking at me? Just in case he actually was though, I decided I didnt want him to see I was blushing so I stared at the center of the flickering flames. 

"Whats your favourite colour?" I whispered quietly as I stared at the flickering flames in front of us. 

I could feel Tristians chest rumble slightly with laughter and I looked up at him to see his eyes glued to the fire. There was a small smile spread across his face though. 

"Blue," he replied quietly as he looked down at me suddenly. I smiled up at him, my cheeks flaming as we stared into each others eyes for a brief minute I couldnt help but notice the freckles across the bridge of his nose. I would have never noticed them from further away. I smiled at him again as he then whispered, "whats yours?" 

"The same," I grinned as I looked back down at the fire again.

Thats what we ended up doing for the whole night, playing twenty questions. It was a great way to get to know Tristian, and it worked as a great distraction for the both of us. It was also quite fun too, not that I would admit that to him off all people though. 

Halfway through the game though the questions began to slow and it took me longer to think about the answers. I was getting tired, and Tristian could tell. However, I denied everytime he asked me if I wanted to lie down and th couch. Instead, I stayed sitting by the fire and leaning against him. 

"Goodnight Adriana," I heard Tristian whisper as I leaned against his chest, letting my eyes slowly flutter and close completly.