✰17.1 Queen For a Day

Key:

(Y/n): Your name

------------------

I paced up and down the corridor, wringing my hands with nerves. My eyes stung from the tears. My parents had been left abandoned in the middle of the worst snowstorm in Coronan history. I had no clue whether they were alive or dead, the only hope we had was to pray that Eugene and the rest find them before the worst happened.

If that wasn't enough, my sister had been the acting Queen since they left - and the pressure had taken it's toll. Even if I begged Rapunzel to give me some of her burdens to lighten her load, she would refuse. My whole life I was an only child, I expected to have the weight of a Kingdom on my shoulder some day - but in the blink of an eye, I became a little sister in need of protection. So here I was, in this lonely candlelit hallway; waiting for something to happen. Then suddenly someone appeared.

"Varian? What are you doing here?" I shook my head, in disbelief. There was several feet of snow covering the landscape, and the storm was getting worse by the minute. Varian was frantic; his dark hair was dusted in powdery snow, his face was frostbitten and his hands were frozen. He almost didn't see me as he ran full speed down the palace corridor.

"(Y/n), my dad, he- I can't talk-" he spluttered out as he looked back at a pair of guards chasing him. My face dropped in confusion, as the alchemist from Old Corona was the last person I expected to see.

"Guards?" I called to the pair of armored men who panted trying to keep up with Varian's speed. They were headed towards the room just around the corner, where the citizens and Rapunzel were taking refuge. I followed them quickly, intrigued by the events.

As soon as I turned the corner, I heard Varian call out my sister's name. They disappeared into the room, until a few seconds later when Rapunzel pulled him out into the dim hallway. I hid behind the corner and listened carefully to what they said.

"Varian, what's wrong?" Rapunzel asked as I peeked from behind the wall a few feet down the hallway.

"Please, the rocks they- they're encasing my dad!" Varian explained as I gave a quiet gasp with shock. I knew Quirin well, since him and my dad were quite close.

"Encasing? Wha- what are you saying?" she inquired.

"Come, come see for yourself! I think you can help. I- I know you can, you have a connection to these rocks." he turned around, trying to convince her to follow him. I quickly pulled my head back so he wouldn't see me.

"Varian," Rapunzel called out with a sigh, "It's a state of emergency here, I'm sorry I can't help you... not right now." I peered around again and saw Varian running back to her.

"No! no, no, no; listen to me! My dad doesn't have much time, you are the only one who can help." he begged my sister, "Rapunzel, please!" the palace butler walked out authoritatively, to weigh in on the conversation.

"Your majesty please," Nigel sighed in frustration, "whatever the boy's problem - it must be set aside; the storm is growing stronger by the second. We need you to make a desi-"

"Nonono, please Princess - you promised you'd help me!" Varian shook his head in disbelief and held onto my sisters coat firmly, Nigel signaled for guards to come. "You promised." they spotted this and grabbed him immediately, prying him from the acting Queen.

"Rapunzel? Princess! My dad needs help!" he panicked as he tried to wriggle out of the guards grip.

"No, don't hurt him!" Rapunzel grimaced, but didn't try to stop them from dragging the freckled alchemist away.

"You promised!" Varian yelled desperately, and I stepped forward into the light from the frosty windows.

"(Y/n)!" Varian cried out as he spotted me beside the decorative suit of armor, but the guards continued to pull him away and out of my sight before I could even respond

"(Y/n)!" Varian cried out as he spotted me beside the decorative suit of armor, but the guards continued to pull him away and out of my sight before I could even respond. I frowned and turned on my heel sharply. How could she let this happen? Turning the corner, I saw Rapunzel speaking to Nigel with concern, and Cassandra had now appeared beside her.

"Why did you let them drag him away?" I called out sternly as I stepped towards my sister and her lady-in-waiting. Nigel rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"We do not have time for distraction, Princess (Y/n)." he scoffed, turning back to Rapunzel.

"Rapunzel. Is there nobody who can help him?" I asked, and she frowned.

"(Y/n), I don't want to turn him away, but we don't have the resources. It's a state of-"

"A state of emergency, I know." I finished her sentence and furrowed my brows. A second of silence passed before I spoke again. "I'm going to help him." I turned around and mentally prepared to get ready for a visit to Old Corona.

"Wait, (Y/n)- you are not going out there." Rapunzel stepped towards me.

"She's right, it's too dangerous, Princess." Cassandra added. I faced them both and looked at the concern on their face.

"So, you'll send somebody desperate for help into the storm - but not me, who's willing to go?" I inquired in disgust.

"You are a Princess, you do not go out into these conditions to help a mere boy." Nigel dismissed me.

"(Y/n), you don't even know Varian that well, maybe you should just let this one go." Cassandra suggested.

"No, I am going to help him." I said with power, turning around again.

"(Y/n). You are not going." Rapunzel said crossly and grabbed my arm firmly. Her voiced caused the Captain of the guard to step out and check that everything was alright.

"Rapunz-" I tried to object, but she cut me off.

"No. (Y/n), Mom and Dad are somewhere out there in this storm. Now Eugene and my closest friends are too. I am not risking your life as well." Rapunzel clarified.

"You can't stop me, you're-"

"The Queen." Nigel interjected. I looked around, trying to see if there was anyone who could plead my cause for me. But everyone just stared at me as if I was being ridiculous.

"Captain, please escort Princess (Y/n) to the fireside. Stay with her and do not let her out of your sight." Rapunzel sighed and spoke calmly.

"You- you can't do this..." I whispered in disbelief.

"That is an order." she added, and the Captain nodded. He took my arm and walked me into the room with the citizens. My heart dropped with grief and I looked back to see Rapunzel's face in her hands. Then I turned to look out the window. The snow hit against the glass, and I frowned thinking about Varian. I was tired of this. Tired of being treated like a child. Tired of everyone deciding what was best for me. Well, starting from now, I was going to decide for myself.

I won't be dismissed again.

------------------

I love rewatching the holiday episodes of Tangled, Queen for a day or Cassandra's revenge are definitely my favorites. I might do a part 2 of this, or maybe I'll write a cute Christmas one? Let me know what you think in the comments hehe. Don't forget to vote if you like my writing ! :)

Merry Christmas guys :^)