✰4. Queen of Mean

This one is a request for @Alyssajj11, enjoy my first ever song fic!

Key:

(Y/n): Your name

(N/n): Nickname, if you have one.

(H/c): Hair colour

Bold writing: Singing

---------

I spent years as an only child. My parents always hoped that my sister would return of course, but for almost 14 years I was the only Princess of Corona. That all changed when Rapunzel came back. It was incredible to see joy return to my parents hearts as the whole kingdom celebrated her long awaited return! Of course it was strange at first, and there were times that I felt like I wasn't good enough for my parents. Yet I still understood that the circumstances were unusual. At the end of the day I gained a sister (and a brother-in-law) and a family that was complete. I stood by my families side when the black rocks threatened us, I tried my best to help the people when Rapunzel left to find the Dark Kingdom, and I fought for Corona when Zhan Tiri threatened the peace. All my life I've stood against anything that has tried to hurt my home.

But things have been different recently. It seems like nothing I do is good enough to compare to my magnificent sister. Although, today is the day to change this; I can prove myself. Today is the day my father is appointing the new Royal Chancellor of Corona, a position that I have been training for years to achieve! I've read every book about Coronan law, economics, infrastructure, healthcare...you name it, I've read it. Dad promised me once I was 16 and trained that I would be awarded the title, and the day has finally come...

I thanked my trusted handmaid for fixing my hair and I left my room, shutting the door gently behind me. Before walking down the carpeted hallway adorned with portraits and flowers, I took a deep breath in.

"All right, today's gonna be your day (y/n)" I exhaled with a smile, and started my journey to the main balcony above the palace square; where the announcement was going to be made. I said a cheerful 'good morning' to all the guards that I passed. There was John, Mike, Gabriel, Gustav, Toby, Charlie (I said a special congrats to Charlie, his wife had twins a week ago), Vincent and Derek. I knew every guard on first name basis, and went out of my way to make them feel at home in the palace. After all, a princess' (and a chancellor's) duty is first and foremost to the people.

I hummed Corona's national anthem quietly to myself as I walked with a skip in my step, but I was caught off guard when I turned a corner and bashed into something cold and metal-ly with a loud clang.

"Ugh yikes..." I frowned in pain as I stumbled back trying to regain my balance. I held my head in my hand and thought about how much that was gonna bruise tomorrow.

"AGH (y/n) I am so sorry!" I heard a familiar voice call. I looked up and saw a concerned friend rush over to me from behind the cause of my pain; a large boiler on wheels. "I should've been way more careful with the express steam-boiler prototype..."

"Varian don't worry, I should've looked where I was going. I'm fine, really" I tried to reassure the worried alchemist/royal engineer, who didn't look too convinced that I was actually fine. "I don't really know how I didn't see that thing anyway, I must be blind" I laughed at my absent-mindedness, causing a chuckle to come from the freckled, apron-wearing boy.

"Yeah actually, it's gotta be at least 8 feet tall. Maybe it is your fault, you should get your eyes checked out princess" Varian said jokingly as he crossed his arms. I gave him a whack to the side of his arm, resulting in a dramatic 'ouch' from him.

"My fault!? You're the one who's wheeling around this strangely silent 8 foot tall death machine!" I complained as he rubbed his arm.

"See, you do blame me!" He exclaimed as I realized what he was doing.