Part one

Pomegranates, a forbidden fruit to some. To others, it's a tantalizing symbol of love, lust, eternal life, and more.

Everyone has heard the story of Hades and Persephone. The God of the underworld, who stole the Goddess Demeter's daughter, who plunged the world into harshness out of grief for her lost daughter. Only being appeased once she was returned. The thing is Persephone was never lost.

"I was right where I wanted to be. The story spread across the mortals' ears is one told by my mother. It is her story but not mine. My story is quite different." Persephone spoke softly, her long hair pulled into a braid that fell down her back. Her gaze vacant as she watched the flames of the grand hearth dance before her. "I chose to be here." A long moment of silence stood before she spoke again, "Often they say that it was Hades who fell for me, but Hades entranced me. I remember meeting her for the first time. The Gods had a tradition of feasting together." Persephone's voice trails off as she closes her eyes, letting the memories swallow her.

~~~

~

Demeter strode down the hall her head held high. Young Kore followed on her heels, "Chin up, Kore. You are a Goddess, and my daughter. Walk with pride."

Kore nodded and imitated her mother. Her feet caught on her long dress and she stumbled a few steps before regaining composure. Demeter shook her head. Kore's face felt hot, how could she be ready to meet the rest of the Gods when she could barely walk with her head held high without tripping over her long dress.

They stopped outside the giant building, it had brilliant pillars that reached high, further than Kore could see. Demeter swung the doors open and waited for her to enter. Kore swallowed and entered the building. The doors closed silently behind them.

"What if I'm not ready to meet the others?" Kore voiced gently, slowing her pace to a stop.

Demeter turned, "Kore, It is time. You have been doing your duties beside me for years now, it's time to meet them, besides you already have met Athena, some of the Muses, Eirene, and her two sisters. You will do fine, after all, you are my daughter" Demeter swelled with pride.

"Yes mother." Kore responded, her mother's words doing little to get rid of the gnawing feeling in her stomach.

"Today is quite important. You will meet your father Zeus, it will be a great honor to meet him." Demeter held out her hand for Kore. She took it gently and followed Demeter to the grand hall for the feast.

The grand doors rose high towards the ceiling. Demeter stopped to give one last instruction. "Remember, this day, as it will be very important. You are meeting the rest of the Gods and Goddesses. You shall learn your place and your seat is earned and an honor."

The doors yawned open before both of them. Kore gaped in amazement of the grandness of the room. It was filled with the purest marble and the shiniest golds. Before them was a large table filled to the brim with foods of all sorts. The smells made Kore's mouth water. At the head of the table sat two chairs. Each one a throne made of carved marble, a name for each diety. Demeter guided Kore to their place. Zeus and Hera sat together at the head. Kore watched as Hera rose and hugged Demeter in greeting. She smiled softly to Kore, saying hello.