The boat moved on its own across the water at a slow but steady pace. Draco and I sat facing each other on opposite ends of the boat, our knees almost touching in the middle.

"Draco," I said, breaking the look of concentration he had on his face as he looked out across the water.

"Hm?" His gaze went to me, and he looked at me with the same expression he'd been looking at me with all morning. Like a lovesick puppy, or some newlywed. It was obvious that this weekend meant a lot to him. As it did to me- and I wondered to myself if from Draco's point of view, I also had that lovesick expression on my face.

"Why is it that the Death Eaters aren't using these crocodile boats to get into the castle?"

Draco's expression darkened. I began to regret bringing the matter up. "Only three of these boats exist in the entire world. This one was gifted to my grandfather by a sorcerer in Egypt, and the other boats' whereabouts are unknown. It's one of my family's most precious heirlooms."

"I-I see."

"I'd rather not discuss Death Eater business right now," Draco said. "I'm thinking of how our return to Hogwarts will go over. Crabbe and Goyle know already, and I'm assuming they've told Blaise... Pansy might not react too well, but that hardly matters..."

As Draco went on naming all of the people he would want to tell of our relationship, the reality of the situation began to sink in. I would have to inform Penny, Greta and Evelyn. Today.

"I rather enjoyed the secrecy of sneaking around," I murmured. "I'm going to miss that."

In a warning tone, Draco said, "Don't tell me you're rethinking things."

"I'm not," I uttered hastily, "I'm just not sure if I'm ready for all of the... Changes."

"Changes?" Draco echoed. "I think you mean to say improvements."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Draco added, "People will treat you with respect. And I don't just mean students- I mean professors, as well. Those Gryffindor girls who insulted you for being a Slytherin would know to keep their mouths shut the next time they visit the Hospital Wing. And if those friends of yours have a problem with it, then, screw them." He sucked on the inside of his cheek. "You better not get cold feet now. Because I'd rather like to be able to walk with my own girlfriend around the castle instead of ducking into broom closets and such just to have a conversation." The corner of his mouth twitched upwards in a smug smile. "Honestly, Erica. I don't think you've thought about this nearly as much as I have."

I blinked at him and his candid words. It seemed that he had thought about this quite a bit, and wanted more than anything to just be with me without having to hide it. And the word girlfriend- he had said it before when introducing me to his mum, but the title still felt so unnatural to me. Like how the title Slytherin didn't begin to resonate with me until long after the sorting ceremony.

The boat rocked back and forth, steadily cutting a V shape across the placid lake surface. "You know, I didn't think I would get placed in Slytherin," I admitted to him. "I came to Hogwarts assuming I would be placed in Ravenclaw, like my mum. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wished I were in another house. But there were times I wondered why I was sorted the way that I was."

There was a pause. Draco looked at me with curious eyes. "I think I was meant to meet you," I said, feeling the sudden chill of the icy air around the lake penetrating the wool of my cloak. "You've given me a purpose that is much greater than my own. And taught me things about the world I was unwilling to learn."

I scoffed lightly to myself. "I suppose I should thank that old hat." I smiled at the stupid thought that the Sorting Hat was playing matchmaker with me all along.