Chapter 17: An Underground City

Start from the beginning

"Come on Stiff."

I open my mouth to object to the nickname but with a sigh, I give in and remain silent.

I turn around again expecting to see a bunch of tents despite having just walked down a flight of stairs that were revealed by a trap door.

And once again I am proved wrong. There are no tents but an entire little city!

Children are running around on the 'road' between blocks that have apartments on the top floor and shops on the ground floor. There is some complex piping that holds the ground above us from falling and lights are hanging from them. But the light feels like sunlight. At the end of the main 'street' is a bigger building.

"What do you think?"

I look up into his bright blue eyes.

"I think I misjudged you guys."

"Come on let's get this meeting over with."

As we walk towards the bigger building people stop to look at me. A small part of me is surprised to see that none of them are wearing masks like Mr. Jerk in front of me.

"So everyone here is-"

"Divergent yip." He said popping the p.

"Can you please just tell-"

"Everything will be explained in the meeting. Which we are late for by the way."

He leads me through the main building up to a big office where Tori is waiting behind her desk.

"Beatrice." She smiles at me as we walk in.

"Hi." I nervously smile back.

"I'm gonna wait outside." The masked man said.

"No Four I want you to stay here." Tori said.

What did she just call him?

"Your name is Four." I chuckle. 

"Yeah got a problem." He shrugs his shoulders.

"No, it's just..... unique."

"Yeah well so is Beatrice."

"Oh, so now you-"

"Okay will the two of you shut the hell up so we can get the meeting started!" Tori yells at us.

Without complaint Four and I rush to the chairs across from her and sit down.

"Thank you," She gives us a sarcastic smile, "Now how much did Four tell you?"

"Just that something big is coming and that some faction leaders are part of it."

"We have been gathering information on the cold war between Abnegation and Erudite. We think that Erudite will do something to harm Abnegation so that they can take over. And we think Dauntless is going to help."

"We are still not sure how they will achieve this but it will be big." Four said.

I sit back for a minute taking in what they are telling me. This is still not enough yet but it is something.

"Wow you can find out all of this but you can't find Tobias Eaton." 

At the mention of the name, Four stiffens next to me.

"Figuring out all this information has been time-consuming and very important." Tori said.

"More important than helping that family get back together."

"They can wait." Four said.

"That is very easy for you to say. You didn't spend the last two years watching Evelyn slowly rot away because she doesn't know if her son is alive or not."

For a split second, a saw pain shining in his eyes.

"I know you care for that family. But once we stop whatever Erudite is planning then we can reunite them."

I hate that I can gear the logic in that.

"Good point, but why do you need me?"

"We need all the help we can get and you seem like the kind of person who wants to do something more with her life than give food and clothes to the factionless."

She knows how to play on deep desires.

Sighing then taking a deep breath I look between Tori and Four.

"Fine, I'll help, for my faction."

Tori's face lights up with a beaming smile. 

"This is going to be good."