Chapter 13: Her Arrival

Start from the beginning

As the cool wind blows my stray hair, I smile slightly as I look up at the sky seeing some clouds flying up above.  I narrow my eyes in the distance seeing that some darker clouds would be possibly heading towards our direction.  "Maybe it will rain..."  I mumble to myself as I walk on the dirt path, heading towards the stream. 

"Mizuki!"  A woman's voice calls out to me causing me to snap my attention towards the direction of the voice.   I grin the moment I see the woman who called me.  I jog over and giggle slightly seeing her.  "Mizuki, it's been a while since I saw you!  I see you're retrieving water again, you should really ask that boy, Michikatsu, to help you.  Or at least to do it instead."  She tells me as she waves her finger towards me.

I giggle as I shake my head.  "Ah it's no problem.  Don't worry about me, Tsubasa!  After all these years, I'm getting stronger!"  I say playfully.  This woman is about 5 years older than me and has been like an older sister even since I came here.  I hear some sounds and tilt my head to see her baby on her back.  

I smile even wider and tickle the baby's cheeks.  "Aw he's so cute Tsubasa~"  I coo out as the baby reaches out to grab my finger.  Tsubasa giggles as she looks at me.  "Isn't he~.  But enough about me and my baby.  It's about you Mizuki, I've been busy and finally see you again.  So you got to tell me, when are you gonna get married!!  That Michikatsu, has he said anything to you about marriage?"  Tsubasa asks as she gives me a look. 

I flush slightly and shake my head.  "I'm not planning on getting married anytime soon!  So calm down!"  I begin as I shake my hands and hear the buckets swing on the stick.  My mood then drops as I look down at the ground.  "But Sato-san had already set up an arranged marriage for Michikatsu already so...."  

"Huh!?  How can that be Mizuki!  You're so cute and pretty, strong at that too!  Sato-san didn't want to match you up with his son!  You guys are like good for each other aren't you?  I've seen you two at times when you come out to the town.  You guys are cute~"  Tsubasa grumbles out to me as she does her hand motions. 

Seeing this my mood lightens up and I giggle.  "Aw thanks Tsubasa.  But we're just friends and Sato-san already set that marriage up a long time ago.  But I'm not sure when she's supposed to come though.."  I comment as I scratch my cheek, feeling my heart ache and tug.  Trying to push those feelings away I look at Tsubasa's baby and smile widely seeing him grin at me. 

"Hmmm.  Well that really makes everything difficult.  I feel bad for you, Mizuki.  Where and what are you going to do the moment she comes???  You need to have a place for yourself too you know."  Tsubasa tells me as she gives me a concerned look.  I sigh and shake my head.  

'It's not like I haven't thought about that...I don't know but hopefully I can stay with the Tsugikuni's a bit longer.  I still need to plan about where I want to go.'  I think to myself as I play with the hem of my shirt.  

"Ah I'm sorry Mizuki!  But I'll offer you my home if things don't go well.  Then you can go find your husband and be happy."  Tsubasa tells me as she waves her finger.  I sigh and smile at her. "Thanks Tsubasa.  I appreciate that.  Well I have to get going, make sure you get home safely okay and don't stay out too late."  I tell her as I motion her towards her house. 

"Yes, yes, I know.  But you should be worrying about yourself.  The river is near the forest and you shouldn't stay there when it's dark.  Who knows when those monsters may appear."  Tsubasa comments as she shivers slightly at the mention of monsters.  I nod my head in return and wave goodbye as I continue down to the river. 

_________

"Alright.  That's the last bucket."  I mumble to myself as this was my last and second trip to the stream.  As I place the stick over my shoulders, I start making my way back towards the house.  The streets of the town are quieter as the rush hour has settled and the villagers are walking back and forth.