Epilogue Part 2

A single candle on the nightstand was all that lit Philomela's room. That was plenty of light for Claudia, as she crept over to the bed. In her hand, she held the crystal decanter of liquor from her step-father's study. 

Philomela was asleep on the bed. The passing of time showed clearly on her face and in the abundance of grey in her hair. Of all of them, besides Lucius, Claudia hated her the most. Bennett loved her, trusted her, and she tortured him as sure as if she'd used her own hands. 

And why? 

"He loved me, and you couldn't abide sharing," Claudia said. 

Philomela gave a small scream when she woke.  

"How old are you Phil? 30? Unmarried, miserable, unloved and you couldn't stand the thought of him putting you aside. Leaving you behind, forgotten to gather dust in this place. So, you sent him to hell." 

"You," Philomela said. Claudia wasn't sure if that was an accusation or a response to her words. It didn't matter. 

"Did you think they would leave him out of it? When I woke up, Philomela, it was in a dungeon meant to kill me. That was where you wanted me. Do you know the first thing I saw? Your brother's hand caught in the floorboards." 

Philomela choked on this. "No, you lie!" 

"What? Do I? Why would I bother with such a base lie?" 

"They wouldn't hurt him..." 

"Why because you asked them not to?" 

"Because he's noble and a man." 

"I'm well born as well and they had no trouble locking me away. Him they didn't lock away. They cut him up bit by bit. Shall I explain? Perhaps a day by day list of indignities would bring you joy." 

"NO!" 

Reaching out, Claudia emptied the decanter in one graceful sweep over the bed. 

"What are you doing? Get out!" 

"We will go, Phil." His voice came from the doorway. He looked stronger than he had since she found him. Something in this place restored him. He strode across the room. In his hand, he held a candle that lit his path across the floor. "I kept your secret for you. All those years I kept your vile secret." 

"I didn't know they'd hurt you. I didn't. She had to leave! She was corrupting you." 

Claudia picked up the candle on the bed stand. Realization stirred in Philomela's face. 

"You can't mean to. . ." 

"Burn in hell," Bennett said. Together Claudia and Bennett let their candles go onto the alcohol soaked blanket. 

Too late, Philomela struggled to get her legs free of the covers. The flames traveled fast up the bedspread catching her nightgown and hungrily eating away at all they touched. 

Philomela screamed, an ear piercing wail and threw herself toward Claudia. Claudia easily back stepped, and Philomela sprawled on the ground tied in her blankets and flaming with the hell's wrath she'd been so eager to employ. 

"Let's go get married," Claudia said flashing a girlish smile across the room at Bennett.

THE END

* If you like the story, please go ahead and hit the fancy little star and let the world and me know you appreciate it :) Thank you all for reading. I'm getting a better response than I hoped! Constructive comments are always welcome or almost any other type of comment you wish to make. Your responses always make my day!