Laurens Interlude

Hope y'all ready to cry your eyes out

John woke up in a room. He recognized the room, it was Alexander's house. But what was he doing here? He walked around for a while, passing through walls, the feeling felt funny, causing him to giggle.

He made his way down a hallway before he stopped, turning his head to see Eliza walking to a room, with a letter. He tried to leave, but his curiosity got the better of him, he followed her to a room. Moving past her to see Alexander and..a baby?

"I may not live to see our glory..." John mutters, lowering his head

"Alexander..there's a letter for you from South Carolina.." she announced

"But I will gladly join the fight.." He lifted his head, a sad smile dawning his face

Alexander turned to his wife, brushing a few strands of hair out his face, "It's from John Laurens, I'll read it later" Alexander said, brushing Eliza off. Turning his attention back to his child.

John chuckled, Alexander always complained that John didn't write enough.

"No..it's not.." that caught both Alex's and Laurens' attention

"And when our children tell out story..." He said, looking at the baby

"Will you read it?" Worry was the one thing rushing to Alexander's brain, both Alex and John listen keenly to Eliza

They'll tell the story of..tonight..

"On Tuesday the 27th," from then John understood what the letter was about, it was about his death, John had stopped listening from then on, he didn't need to be reminded of his failure.

"Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens was killed in a gunfight against British troops in South Carolina..."Alexander's widened in horror, Eliza's voice started to crack.

"These troops have not yet received word from Yorktown that the war was over...he's buried here until his family can send for his remains.." tears flowed from Alexander's eyes, tears threatening to spill from Eliza's. She wiped her eyes, water smudged her hand. John's eyes widened, the war was over? "No..i..it was over...we..we won.." The freckled ghost muttered in sheer disbelief, they had won, but he wasn't aware of that, so not only did he fail, he failed after they won. 

"As you may know, Lieutenant Colonel Laurens was was engaged in recruiting 3,000 men for the first all black military regiment..The surviving members of this regiment have been returned to their masters..." Eliza finally broke, her voice cracked, tears streaming down her face uncontrollably. Alexander's shoulders where shaking with sobs as tears rolled down his cheeks rapidly.

John walked over to Alexander

"Tomorrow..there'll be more of us..."

He placed a kiss on Alexander's lips, knowing he couldn't feel it, but John didn't care, this was the only way he could say goodbye to Alex.

"Alexander..are you alright?"

The room fell into a deafening silence for a few seconds, though it felt like hours. Alexander fell still, as if seeing Laurens after the kiss. Tears pricked his eyes once more, his mouth slightly agape.

He took a deep breath, wiping his eyes and standing up, "I have..so..much work to do.." Eliza sighed, she knew Alexander would bury himself in his work, whenever he got the chance. She walked over to the crib, picking up her son and gently cradling him. John was beside her, looking at the child with curiosity.

"Goodnight Philip.." Eliza said, kissing the child, Phillip, on his forehead, gently placing him back in his crib. She turned to the door, blowing out the lamp and closing the door behind her.

John's POV

Huh, Philip, that's his name. That's a pretty good name. I bit my lip out of sheer curiosity, and old habit I still do, then an idea popped up in my head, I was going to experiment with something. Looking down at the peacefully sleeping Phillip below me, I touched my face for a while, I flinched when my face burned for a few seconds, huh funny, I though ghosts couldn't get hurt. I took a look at my fingers, they where decorated with freckles, apparently my freckles where still on my face, good.

I gently waved my hand over Philip's face, beaming when freckles spread across his face, yes! It worked! I tugged on my hair, --yea, that hurt-- not ripping it out, just pulling a few strands.

'How on God's green Earth is this gonna work-'

I thought to myself, I rubbed Philip's head carefully, surprised as hell when I saw hair softly growing on Philip's head.

'What the fuck?! How did that even work?!'

In sheer disbelief, I gently rubbed my hand on Philip's head,and low and behold, it was real.

Apparently I haven't noticed Philip woke up, he started giggling, making grabby hands towards him.

Now you might be expecting me to jump a bit right?

Wrong.

I full on screeched and jumped.

Philip giggled, obviously amused by him scaring the shit out of me. I was confused for a second, how did he know I was there, much less make a gesture towards me. I moved to the left a bit, Philip's eyes followed, I slid to the right, and Philip's eyes where following. I stood there, shocked, apparently he appears to be the only one that can see me. But why?

My train of thoughts where broken when Philip started to cry,

Shit.

I've never dealt with a baby in my life. In fear of waking Eliza or distracting Alex, I frantically searched around for anything that could have made Philip cry. Then it hit me:

Oh yea, I'm dead, and my clothes, are bloody.

So that was the problem.

Great. Absolutely wonderful.

I closed my eyes and imagined myself in the clothes I was wearing before my death, which consisted of my current outfit, minus the gunshot wound and the blood.

And low and behold, I was in the very same clothes I had imagined. Now with that out of the way, I slowly picked the child up, cradling him with care. Philip seemed to stop crying, thank God.

His eyes where a hazel blue color-

(A/N: let me tell you, I just looked that up saying "yea no way this is real" and it was, and let me tell you, Hazel blue eyes are FREAKING BEAUTIFUL)

It was really unique color, it was more like mostly blue with a mix of a hazel color, I looked a bit closer and realized there was a hint of Violet blue. Holy shit, this kid has some mesmerising eyes, I'm guessing the hazel was from Eliza, the violet blue was definitely Alex, I'm not sure where the blue comes from though. 

Philip started to yawn and shift around in my arms, he was getting tired and cranky.

But guess what? I, John Laurens, the gayest man alive, have no absolute idea no how to deal with children.

So doing the best I can, I started singing a Spanish lullaby my mom taught me.

(I don't know any Spanish lullabies-)

After a few minutes, Philip was sound asleep in my ghostly arms. I gently settles him back down into his crib and went back to pondering.

Why was I here? Do I have a purpose here? Shouldn't I be in heaven? What is going on?!

I took a look back at Philip, a flame over overprotectivness grew in my chest, then it hit me, again.

Maybe...

..Maybe I was there...

...To be..

..Philip's...guardian angel?...