Chapter 21

"Shouldn't it be me sneaking out of your bed?" I glance over at Simon, and pull my top over my head.

"That's usually how it works." I say, pulling my hair into a messy ponytail. "But I've got to get back to the hospital."

Simon sits up, the sheet moving dangerously low. "Give me a minute, I'll be ready."

I shake my head. "You don't have to come with me." I roll my eyes, letting out a breathy laugh when he gives me a cheeky smirk. "Don't say it."

Simon raises his hands in fake surrender. "Didn't say anything." He moves to the side of the bed and grabs his shirt. "We're getting coffee on the way though."

"Getting too old for so much strenuous activity, are you now Bennett?"

Simon laughs, his knowing smirk making an appearance. "Trust me babe, when it comes to you, that was only the start of it."

"Oh shut up, you smooth talker." I throw his shorts at him, and thank the heavens that I lost my blushing problem back in high school.

"I'm driving." Simon stands and grabs the keys from the locker.

I shrug. "Fine by me. Driver fills the tank."

**✿❀ ❀✿**

"Thirty seconds early." Harriet, one of my colleagues, glances at her watch as we step out of the elevator on Abi's floor. "But I'm in a good mood, so I'll let you away with it."

"Thanks Harriet, you always were my favourite fellow New Yorker." I grin.

"And who's your friend?" Harriet turns her attention towards Simon.

"This is Simon, Olivias brother."

"Well lovely to meet you Olivia's brother. You're a fellow New Yorker too?"

Simon nods. "Born and raised."

"We'll take over Evergreen before they know it." Harriet winks, before looking down at her watch. "Gotta go, Nancy said the muffins will sell out quick."

"Are all your colleagues as cool as her?" Simon grins, once Harriet is gone. "Because I don't see how you fit in here."

I cross my arms, feigning anger. "I'll have you know I'm one of the coolest nurses here."

"Sure."

I swat his arm. "Let's go."

Abi's room looks the same as when we left it a couple of hours ago, and unfortunately so does Abi.

"Brought you some of your favourite chocolates. So you'd better wake up now, before I eat them." I pop one of the chocolates into my mouth.

Simon leans against the counter, glancing at his phone.

"Have you heard from Hayden yet?"

Simon shakes his head, with a sigh. He opens his mouth to speak but the sound of the door being pushed open, catches both of our attention. Hayden steps through, still wearing his uniform.

"I got your message." He informs us. "Told them to turn the plane around or I'd be making use of my parachute."

"And?" Simon raises an eyebrow.