Chapter 29

"You ready to go?" Simon stands up from his seat, and adjusts the duffel bag on his shoulder. The last call for our flight has just been announced.

"You mean do I think I'll make it to our seats without throwing up?" I huff, and slowly get to my feet. "No guarantees."

"Damn, we didn't even need to book you a seat. We should've just told them you'd be on the floor beside the toilet the whole time."

I reward his smirk with my middle finger, before giving him one of my own grins. "At least I won't be the idiot holding the pregnant ladies hair back."

Simon shrugs. "Someone has to pass you some mints."

"Let's go, douchebag."

Thankfully we manage to make it to our seats without me needing to detour. The flight goes pretty quickly, I opted on sleeping for most of it in an attempt to avoid the nausea and lucky for me, it actually worked.

"It's good to be back, I guess." Simon sighs, as he slides into the drivers seat of the rented car.

"How long has it been since you've been back here."

"I haven't been back since I deployed."

"Shit, that long?"

Simon nods, pulling onto the road. "Coming back here wasn't my main priority."

"Understandable." I glance at my phone when a message comes through. "We need to make a pit stop at the grocery store, your mom needs a few things."

Simon nods and moves into the opposite lane.

He pulls into a parking spot a few minutes later. "You're coming in?" His eyebrows scrunch up in confusion when I take off my seatbelt.

"I've been sitting for too long, my legs need stretching."

"You're not going to barf in the store, are you? Because that would be embarrassing." He grins, pushing his door open.

"No promises. For you, I might just manage it."

We both laugh as we walk into the store.

"What are we looking for?"

I glance at my phone, trying to read the list that Brenda sent. "Eggs, bacon, bread and chocolate."

"I'm assuming the last part was for you."

"The baby actually."

"Simon? Is that you?" I recognise the high pitched voice behind us, as we're looking at the selection of chocolates a few minutes later.

Simon gives me a wary look before turning around.

"Oh hey, Grace."

Grace Reign, aka one of Simons ex flings from when we 'broke up' way back when. Personally, I never got along with her, but that's not a surprise, I didn't get along with much of his flings.

"How have you been? You're back from the army?"

"I'm doing great. What about you? You're doing well."

I roll my eyes and pick up an extra packet of chocolate bars, when I hear her sigh. It turns out some things haven't changed. "Well as good as I can be. Mark and I are getting a divorce."

"You were married?"

"Only six months, but I'm still very lonely."

I roll my eyes, giving my bump a reassuring stroke before spinning around. "Grace, lovely to see you." I give her one of my fake smiles. We'll just pretend you weren't hitting on Simon years later.

"Isabelle? I didn't realise you two still talked."

Just like you still haven't realised my names not Isabelle?

"We didn't up until recently, but he's stuck with me now though." I put my hand on my bump. I took my sweater off in the car so I'm sure Grace has already noticed my current situation, due to my pink sports bra and shorts.

"Oh wow and it's Simons?"

"It's mine, alright. Anyway, we've got to go, moms waiting at home." Simon rests his arm over my shoulders.

"Maybe I'll see you around?" Grace bats her eyelashes in his direction.

"We're not back for long, but maybe."

"Well, that was fun." Simon mutters as we walk around the corner.

"You'd define seeing your fling, who still calls me Isabelle and bluntly flirts in front of your other pregnant fling, fun?"

"Ex fling and no, I'd define seeing a jealous Isabella as fun." 

"You're hilarious." I slide his arm off my shoulders. "The grey shorts aren't even that cute."

I'm referencing his outfit. He's wearing some grey basketball shorts and a black t-shirt.

"Well that's good because you calling my shorts cute isn't on the top of my wish list." He smirks.

"Let's get out of here, your mom will be wondering where we are."

The journey to Simons parents place is a quick one. We were going to stay at a hotel but Brenda insisted that she pamper her grandchild for the few days that we stayed.

Brendas outside gardening when we pull up outside.

"There you guys finally are." She grins giving Simon a hug before wrapping her arms around me. "How's the little one?" She puts her hands on my stomach.

"They're kicking that's for sure." I smile.

"You guys still don't want to find out the gender, no?"

"Nope, we're still keeping it a surprise."

"Where's dad?" Simon asks once we get to the kitchen, after all the introductions.

"He's at work. He was called out late today, but he'll be back for dinner."

My phone rings a few seconds later. "It's Olivia. I'll be back in a few."

"Hey." I sit on the couch in the living room. "How's everything at home?"

"Boring. Who knew you actually brought some interest to my life."

"You're welcome, sweetie."

Olivia laughs. "So how's everything over there?"

"Everything's going great. We ran into Grace in the store though."

"Grace Reign? The really clingy one?"

"You bet."

"That's sounds amazing."

"Oh it was. She even I double checked that it was Simons baby." I roll my eyes, even though Olivia can't see it.

"Nasty. What did you say?"

"I didn't get a chance. Simon swiftly announced our exit."

"Probably the smartest thing to do."

"Tell me about it." I sigh. "On the positive side of things, I haven't ran to the bathroom since we were in Evergreen."

"That's more than I can say. I swear I haven't left it all day."

I laugh. "Who knew being pregnant together would be so fun."