3. Hospital Visits and Pinkie Promises

"Emily!?" I heard Tiana scream.

I had managed to curl over into the fetal position, cradling my knee without touching it.

The second I had dived I knew I would get hurt.

I had put my knee down, so instead of sliding on my stomach, I had landed hard on my knee, popping it out of place, and most likely breaking it.

My breathing was labored, and my stomach churned at the rush of pain that shot through my leg.

"Emily! Emily! Emil- Oh, my god! Mr. Evans!" Tiana had kneeled down beside me, freaking out when I didn't get up immediately, and she saw my knee.

I didn't even want to know what it looked like.

I heard his sneakers hitting the linoleum and come to a stop next to me.

"Watch out, Kris." I heard him tell her.

My body was tense with the pain, and I jumped when a warm hand touched my shoulder.

"Ms. Monte?" I heard him question. "Where are you hurt?"

I wanted to scream at him, "My knee, you dumbass!" but what I really said was, "My knee." And I barely managed to get my voice above a gasp.

"Let me see-"

"NO!" I screamed at him as he tried to roll me onto my back, bumping my knee into the floor and causing another sickening jolt of pain to run through me.

I shuddered.

"Kris. Call an ambulance, now." I heard the urgency in his voice and I smiled mentally. Good, he wasn't going to try and convince the nurse to get down here and then wait for her to call an ambulance.

I heard a bustle, and voices that meant the soccer unit had returned.

"Emily!" I heard Teddy call and he was soon next to me, cradling my face.

"Oh my god, Emily, what happened?" His face was crumbled with worry.

"It's okay. Just my- knee!" I talked somewhat normal until another bump caused a wave of pain to rock through my body again.

Despite my wishes, a small tear slipped down my cheek.

"Oh, no. Where the hell is the-"

"The ambulance will be here in less than five minutes." Tiana interrupted Teddy, snapping her phone shut. She put her phone back in her bra, earning a grin from me.

Five minutes later, a couple of EMT's were bringing in a stretcher and lifting me onto it.

Teddy and Tiana each were gripping one of my hands and shot a glare at the EMT who suggested that they leave.

"Kris. Kellen. Let me handle this. I'll go to the hospital with her." I heard Mr. Evans say.

An EMT began examining my knee as he climbed into the ambulance and both Tiana and Teddy left with promises of visiting me ASAP.

"Just tell me what-"

"OW!" I yelled as she touched my knee.

She grimaced and motioned to the driver.

Within minutes we were back at the hospital.

To tell the truth, I had only been to the hospital once.

My mom had been sick, struggling with cancer, and I was always in her room. She had made the hospital room homey though, making it seem less scary for a five year old me.