4. Since When Did Teachers Have Facebooks?

We sat like that until the door slammed open.

I opened my eyes and looked at the door through watery eyes.

Oh. Shit. Balls. FML!

"What the hell, Emily Mae? I'm at the spa, when the school calls me, and tells me you're in SURGERY?? Why didn't you call me in the ambulance?" She yelled at me. Of course. She so conceited and self-centered.

"Because I was in a lot of pain and my phone wasn't on me. I was in gym, Amy." I retorted back at her with a glare.

Her face turned red.

"I don't care if you are injured, you are NOT to use that tone with me. I am your mother. I am to be respected!" She clenched her tiny fists at her side and looked like she was trying hard not to slap me.

"You aren't my mother and you never will be. You haven't earned my respect, so you don't get it. Now get out. I don't want to deal with you right now. I'm injured, so that means you can't- I mean, I can talk how I want right now." I caught myself before I said "so that means you can't beat me" but I caught myself when I remembered Mr. Evans.

This time, she didn't restrain herself.

She walked over and slapped me, my head snapping to the side, and my neck cracking audibly. Tiana gasped and Teddy gripped my hand, trying to restrain himself from punching her.

"Don't you dare speak to me like that again! I don't care if your friends are here. I will treat you like the filthy piece of-"

"Amy. Did I introduce you to my new teacher? He was the adult with me while I was under anesthesia." Her eyes widened and snapped over to him.

"O-oh. Emily. Why didn't you say something before?" I heard the implication underneath. Why didn't you notify me so I didn't act like the abusive bitch I am?

She smiled flirtatiously, and flipped her hair back, holding out her hand. "I'm Amy Woods. Emily's mother."

"Step. She's my legal guardian while my father's in Italy. And his wife. But not my mother. Never my mother." I glared at her.

Mr. Evans crossed his arms across his chest, ignoring her hand and turned his eyes on me. I saw the concern and question in them.

"Amy. Kris and Kellen. Can I have a moment to speak with Emily? Alone." Amy left, pouting, but Kris and Teddy were reluctant.

"Go ahead. I'll be fine." I whispered to them, hugging them tightly before shooing them out the door. Well, as best as I could sitting in a hospital bed.

As soon as they were out of the door, Mr. Evans turned on me.

"Are you being abused at home?" I had told the lie many times, so I could look him straight in the eye, and lie without betraying a thing.

"No. She just gets angry after a bad day, and I piss her off, so she hits me. She doesn't realize she's doing it. And she feels bad afterward." I almost made my tongue bleed from biting it after I finished telling the lie. It was so fake it's not even funny.

He narrowed his eyes at me.

"I don't appreciate being lied to Emily. I can see through your 'speech'. You're too tense for it to be the truth. And you're biting your tongue. It's pretty obvious. I want the truth."

I sighed and leaned back against the pillows, closing my eyes.

"Listen, I could care less what she does to me." Lie. "She's not very strong anyways, and it's normally just a slap." Lie. "It's not like anyone would care anyway." Lie. "And besides, it's better me than my little brother." Bullshit! I didn't even have a little brother.