Chapter 39: I Won't Go Home Alone

Start from the beginning

I hear Ian chuckle, but he doesn't say anything, just gives me directions to where he's going to stay.

"That's what I thought," I mumble again when he doesn't defend himself. Oh, but I can't be more wrong.

"So you ARE rich," I state, as the elevator doors open right in Ian's penthouse minutes later.

He gives me a wink as we exit, the hotel porter behind us.

Even though Ian told them he'd take his own bag, they still offered us help.

I guess that's how it is in every expensive hotel in the world, because this Peninsula one is definitely one of the most expensive hotels in Chicago, and it shows.

The guy places Ian's bag in the room upstairs and excuses himself, leaving us alone in this huge penthouse.

I wander around, studying every corner of the living room, and Jesus, it IS crazy.

The whole place is so classy and beautiful, it's unreal. The chocolate brown sofas and armchairs go exceptionally well with the light brown walls and pillows.

There is a huge TV on one wall, a kitchen area with all the things one might need, a bar, and from floor to ceiling windows. The whole Chicago can be seen from here, and it makes you feel like you're on top of the world. And that's just the first floor. There are a couple of wooden stairs leading up to the bedroom, but of course, I don't check that one out.

"I think I will need a car, so can you lend me the money you mentioned?" I joke, getting a seat on one of the many armchairs.

"The train is long gone, and you didn't board it," Ian says over his shoulder, as he kicks his shoes off, before making his way to the kitchen. "You want a drink?"

"Is there a coke?"

Ian starts to hum under his breath as he examines the drinks and suddenly there's this feeling in my chest that makes it hard for me to breathe.

Kai... he did that too, sing under his breath. He'd do that all the time when he was driving, or waiting for me downstairs, so we could walk down the street to our favorite cafe, or when he was looking up at the sky.

I loved listening to him do that as he ran his fingers through my hair during the night, every time I was over at his place.

"Here you go," I notice Ian in front of me, handing me a red can.

How did he get here in a blink of an eye? Did I space out again?

I shake my head, trying to come back to the moment and take it out of his hand, thanking him.

"Do you have plans tonight?" Ian asks, getting a sit on the small coffee table in front of me and opening his bottle of water.

"Not really, just watching movies and stuffing my face with Chinese. Why? Do you wanna go out tonight?"

"Well, we could go around the city. Fuck, I already have a scheduled surgery tomorrow, so today is the only day I can relax."

"Sure, I'm in. I know some places you might want to see."

"Nice." He nods, taking a sip.

"Are you going to stay here alone? Isn't it a little too much for one person?"

Ian growl, stretching his feet.

"Come on, Selena, I'm a 32 years old bachelor, you think I'm not gonna bring women up here, whenever I have the time?"

"Right, for a minute there I forgot who you were," I stand up to my feet to leave, and get some sleep at home, if possible.

"I'll pick you up at 8, so you can return the car to Snow." He calls out, throwing himself on the sofa, as I enter the elevator. "And text me your address."