"He asked me for help with the ring. He wanted something more simpler, but I told him he needed to be more impressive and he agreed that Chenle deserved a nice ring." Everyone looked at Mark in shock. They were all just playing, but he just had to bring up the topic of the engagement that had no yes. They all thought it was too sensitive to bring up already. Mark cowered and rubbed his nape at their shocked looks and glares. Jisung looked at Chenle for a reaction.

The blonde was clearly flustered at the mention of the engagement ring. He would have actually preferred a more simple ring if he were honest. The ring was undeniably beautiful though. He still wondered what had happened to his pearl ring from his mother. He looked up to see a clearly nervous Mark and everyone's looks between them.

Chenle couldn't help it when he suddenly started giggling at the scene. Soon, his giggling turned into full-on laughter. His high pitched sounds resounded throughout the room. Jeno, Mark, and Renjun stared with frowns while his step-siblings and Jisung smiled with curious looks. Chenle couldn't stop laughing as he looked at their faces.

"Sorry." He smiled at them. They all stared in awe. They were all mostly thinking the same thing: "Cute."
~•~•~•~

After dinner was over, Jeno insisted that they stay at the palace for the night. Chenle wasn't sure what was going on, but he had a serious chat with his step-siblings and had no other choice. He suggested going back home, but they immediately shot down the idea, giving Chenle worried looks. Chenle absolutely hated the idea of spending one more minute near the tall ugly rat and his little friends.

Well, maybe he's exaggerating.

Maybe he didn't hate the idea of staying in a palace for the night.

Maybe he actually didn't mind having a chance to explore the place where his possible fiancé and acquaintance lived all these years.

He might actually like the idea of seeing his mouse for longer, even if he hates his feelings for wanting to be closer to the other. He did play dramatic though, don't get him wrong. When the idea was suggested, he immediately tried to sound annoyed about it. Deep down, he was a little glad. He was still debating his decision.

They were each shown to a guest room; each had a lavish bathroom. The guest bedrooms were all close to the other's bedrooms. He was the last shown to his bedroom. Get this, his bedroom was the closest to Jisung's bedroom, which he was sure was no coincidence since he was already tricked into being in the same room as Jisung before. He sighed and walked in.

"Good night, Chenle." He heard behind him. Chenle involuntarily turned at the voice and was face to face with the person who made his heart race. He stared at Jisung and felt bad. The other was trying. He could just tell. Here Chenle was, making him feel bad.

"Good night, Jisung. Do you...want to talk? I'll just get ready for bed and we can talk. I mean if you want, that is. I just...I don't really know." Chenle struggles to get his point across.

Jisung suddenly smiled at him and nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice. I'll come by later. When the clock tower sounds?" Jisung asked. That was more than enough time for both of them to collect their thoughts before having to speak to each other.

"Yeah. See you then." Chenle nodded and closed his door. As soon as it was closed, he groaned in frustration. Why would he do that? He hated how weak he was for Jisung. Now he's leading him on, isn't he? Chenle aggressively started getting ready for bed. He showered and changed into the spare pajamas he was given and sat on the bed, waiting.
~•~•~•~

Jisung on the other hand went straight to Jaemin's bedroom. He tried Donghyuk's, but he didn't open the door. He knocked on the door and Jaemin frowned upon seeing Jisung.

"Jisung?" Jaemin looked surprised. He was already wearing pajamas and he let out a yawn.

"Um...yeah sorry hey? So...I just wanted to talk to you. You're Chenle's step-brother, so you know him. I wanted some advice." Jisung said. He was being awkward again. It made sense, he had barely met Jaemin. He internally face palmed and took a deep breath. He could do this. For Chenle.

Jaemin opened the door and motioned for Jisung to come in. "I barely know Chenle at all. What is it that you need advice on? He said no. I can't really make him take back his answer." Jaemin was right and although it sounded harsh, Jisung didn't feel as offended from the gentle tone Jaemin was using.

"I know it's just...he seemed panicked when I asked him. The way he said no was just so...immediate. I know he doesn't dislike me. I mean, maybe he does, but we were talking fine before I brought out the big question." Jisung said, pacing the room. "And if that stuff you said at dinner was true then he has to like me some right?"

"Jisung, I'm so sorry. I know you mean well, but Chenle has some things he deals with, mentally I mean. He doesn't trust very easily. Chenle has some...trauma. I can't tell you everything because it's his story, but he's strong and he's suffered. The way he's being is understandable. If you really want to truly marry him, then I have to warn you that you'll need patience. He's still barely warming up to us if I'm honest." Jaemin chuckled bitterly.

"I'll give him a week and after that I'll start moving on. My father wants me to marry soon." Jisung sighed knowing it was for the best. "He's even willing to approve of Chenle, but he wants to meet him first. I really like him. I just want him to be happy, so if what he wants is to be away from me, then that's it, but I won't back away until the week is over. Oh, and you guys can all stay here if you'd like, as long as you need to." Jisung smiled.