(5) ginger

Sitting on the couch in Hotch's living room, you can smell the lavender through the open window. He brings two cups of tea from the kitchen and sits down next to you. You see the lemon in it. Smiling, you take a sip.

"I see, you did your research." Ginger and lemon tea is your favorite.

Hotch looks at you: "Hell, yes!"

You put your cup on the table: "Did you guess?"

Guilty, he looks at his hands: "I looked in your fridge. And in your cupboards."

Your smile brightens: "That's really sweet, and also slightly creepy."

Hotch took off his suit jacket and tie after he greeted you outside. His dress shirt is silky against your skin. His body heat makes it feel like a ghost carefully touching you.

You put your head on his shoulder, he leans his cheek against it. It makes his breathing audibly calm down. Thinking about how touch starved he is, makes your heart ache.

"When was the last time you had a girlfriend?"

He lifts his head to look at you, his eyes scanning your face.

You try to hide your sadness; you don't want to make him think that you are belittling him.

"I was married while I worked as a prosecutor."

"Oh, I didn't know that." You are furrow your eyebrows.

"It's not something I usually bring up during a date." He smiles a little.

Genuinely curios you ask: "Well, this isn't a date. What happened?"

"I- ehm." He breaks the eye contact.

You put your hand on his thigh: "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I'm just interested in my boyfriend's past."

It makes him smile that you use the term boyfriend.

He clears his throat: "She cheated." Aarons eyes find yours again.

"What the fuck?!" You exclaim. "Why the fuck would someone cheat on YOU?"

He gives you a small smile: "I didn't have much time for the relationship."

"Hm." You look into his eyes. "That's one of the reasons you were scared to get closer to me, isn't it? You think it's your fault that she cheated, and you didn't want to risk letting that happen again."

He exhales loudly: "Yeah."

Nodding, you tell him: "I understand. But please believe me that this will not happen again. At least not with me."

Hotch looks at you, there is that amazement again. It sends warmth into your chest.

He kisses your cheek: "Thanks for saying that."

"And since then? No relationships?"

He hesitates. "Well, some. But nothing really significant."

"I see." You take your tea again.

"What about you?"

You look at him over the rim of your cup. Squinting your eyes, you notice the insecurity on his face.

You answer his question: "Talking about significant: two years ago."

"Okay." Is all he replies.

You get into his lap and cup his face with your hands: "I really like you, Aaron. Can you believe that?"