(7) ice and blood

note: the case is based on the movie Wind River (2017)

"Ha!" You shout as you put the cube down. You turn Spencer's chair and take off his headphones. He wasn't allowed to hear or see what you were doing, otherwise he would have had an advantage.

Morgan stops the timer and gives you a fist bump: "Seven minutes and twenty-seven seconds."

You are competing in a three-dimensional ball labyrinth that is played without being able to see the actual labyrinth. There are five layers through which you have to navigate the tiny ball. Then you turn the cube around and have to get it all the way back.

Morgan starts the timer and Spencer takes the cube to stare at the engraved 2D maps of the stages. It takes him about forty seconds to figure out the route all the way through the five layers. But now he has to actually get the ball there.

Emily, JJ, and Morgan are sitting around you and observe. You intensely stare at his movements. Even though he is faster at finding patterns and memorize what he sees, it seems like you have the better fine motor skills. Spencer struggles with moving the cube carefully enough to get the ball into the correct openings. He sighs loudly when he finally makes it to the other side. Now he has to get it back.

It makes a loud noise when he bangs the cube onto the table. "Seven minutes and thirty-four seconds." Morgan declares.

"Ayyy." You throw your hands up and get high-fives from everyone. Spencer stares at the cube as if he wants to crush it.

"Come on, don't take it personal, pretty boy." Morgan laughs.

"Alright." Emily says, "As acting supervisor, I end this entertaining break."

Everyone groans. "Come on, don't take it personal." Emily grins.

Hotch is still out of office, probably until tomorrow. So, once again, everyone is catching up on paperwork and writing consultations for other departments.

You didn't have the time to see him yesterday, hence you were really looking forward to getting home today. When the clock finally hits six, you immediately get up and throw your stuff in your bag.

"Ready to go?" You ask Spencer.

He already got his jacket on and nods at you. In the car you turn on the radio and bang your hands on the steering wheel, while you drive out of the parking lot.

Suddenly Spencer asks: "Would you like to watch a movie with me?"

You turn your head to look at him for a second, he is staring onto the road ahead.

"Sure. Thanks for asking me. When?"

"Don't you want to know which movie?" Spencer asks confused.

You shake your head: "I'm positive you have great taste."

He smiles: "Alright. Now?"

You kind of want to say yes, but you also really want to see Hotch: "How about tomorrow? Does that work for you as well?"

"Sure."

"Great. See you in the morning." You park in front of his apartment and wait until he gets out. You wave at him and drive off. With take-out and soup in your hands you knock at Hotch's door.

He opens wearing sweatpants and a shirt. His face still shows bruises, and his eyebrow will likely have a permanent scar in it.

"Hey." You smile at him, glad to finally see him in person. Yesterday you only texted.