"I'll see you again one day my love" (Remus Lupin)

Summary - during the peak of the first wizarding war Remus Lupin runs away leaving his best friends and girlfriend. When he returns a year later everything had changed.

Warnings - unplanned pregnancy, loneliness, angst I guess

Disclaimer - Alice and Frank are killed not James and lily (can't bring myself to do it)

Edited - 14/04/2020

word count - 3126

***

Dearest y/n,

I'm sorry I have to leave like this but it's simply selfish for me to stay around you and the boys. I love you with absolutely all of my heart and therefore I beg you not to do anything reckless. Don't come searching for me because you won't find me. Don't put yourself in harms way to find out where I've gone because I don't want to be found.

You simply living near me is dangerous, never mind in the same house and in a serious relationship. I had to put you before myself for once and so I'm not sure when I will return. Please know that I am not doing this because I no longer love you, it is the complete opposite. I love you my darling with everything in me and for this reason I truly hope you find someone who deserves you and who can give you a life I never could.

I'll see you again one day my love, your Remus.

The letter had been sat on the table exactly where he had left it for about a year. She couldn't bring herself to move it and so it lived by the fruit bowl in the kitchen.

A lot had changed while Remus was away and it got to a point where she didn't have time to cry over him anymore, she didn't have time to keep searching.

Only three weeks after he had left she discovered she was two months pregnant, and now 8 months down the line she was raising her newborn 1 month old baby alone in the house they had bought to share.

She had decided to call him Noah, it was a name the pair had always liked when talking about it. Noah Remus Lupin was his full name on the birth certificates however none of their friends had even mentioned the baby's last name, they didn't want to hurt her more during what was meant to be a beautiful time.

It had been only four days since the war ended, four days that were some of the longest she had ever experienced. Alice and Frank were dead, and lily and James were finally allowed to come out of hiding. It was a bitter sweet time because even though the joy of finally being free to leave your home safely and sleep soundly at night without having to keep an eye open was something they would never take for granted again, they had still lost people they cared about so deeply that it didn't feel like the war would ever end. It felt like it would go on till the day they died. The memories and the trauma haunting them.

She didn't know if Remus was still alive. Every night at exactly 7 pm, for the past year, she would turn on the radio and listen to the death toll followed by the names, hoping and praying with all of her might his name never rolled of their tongue.

True his name hadn't been mentioned. But none the less they didn't find all the body's, and he was on the run from everybody who would report him missing.

"Shh baby, mummy's here" she shushed quietly as she rocked her baby against her body, his sharp cries had subsided and were replaced by soft whimpering noises. Lily was visiting to see Noah, James and Sirius Both already had, she hadn't yet met him because she really hadn't had the time yet, which was understandable.

"He's beautiful Y/N" she muttered looking down at the baby that had just been placed in her arms in awe.

"He looks just like his dad" y/n replied quietly a soft smile tugging at her lips "he reminds me of remus more than I had expected him to" she continued watching her best friend and her baby closely.