Sad Beautiful Tragic (Remus Lupin)

Summery - Remus and Reader had an unofficial relationship while in their 7th year at Hogwarts. When they leave school they fall out of contact though still love one another.

Warning - Angst.

Word count - 1,985

Reading time - 7 mins 13 seconds

***

Long handwritten note

Deep in your pocket

Words, how little they mean

When you're a little too late

Before leaving school Remus and Y/n had been inseparable. They knew everything about each other and though it had started off as a long term friendship they had transitioned easily into a far more romantic relationship in their final year at school.

Though they had never titled what they were to one another it was clear to everyone that they only had eyes for each other, that they were not single.

Remus had planned to marry the girl, he had said so when they were children playing families in her back garden though he hadn't understood it then. However he did now and he stood by it, he would marry her.

So he wrote her a letter. It was short and simple and he planned on giving it to her at the one-year reunion Lily was having in her Garden to catch up with everyone they had been friends with at school. It was a time to forget about the ongoing war if only for a while.

But she never showed up. Remus put it down to her being busy. She worked in the ministry and with dark forces trying to corrupt them constantly she had been far more busy than usual. However the next day the group had gotten a letter from her, everyone was the same.

She had gone into hiding as the ministry has been overthrown and she was now wanted. She never told them where she was going just that she would be out of the country until the war ended if it ever did.

Remus knew he was too late. They weren't winning the war, not even close. And there was no end in sight either. As far as anyone could tell this was to be their lives for years to come, and now he had to do it without her.

He reached into his pocket and picked up the piece of paper deep inside, folding it and putting it into his sock drawer alongside the new letter he had just received from her, deciding the ignore her side of the drawer that was now empty. For he didn't want the constant reminded that no matter how important ones words are they are reduced to nothing if they are said too late.

I stood right by the tracks

Your face in a locket

As she prepared to leave the country, a small bag in her hand as she looked across the road at her now old cottage she did all she could to hold back her tears. Her life had been falling perfectly into place and now she had to leave it all for goodness knows how long. There was no saying she would ever be able to come back and live a normal life. They were living in unprecedented times and no one knew the possible outcome.

She had written a letter and copied it to each of her friends. she wanted to say more, to each of them (though especially Remus), however, she knew she couldn't. If the letters were found or someone betrayed them she couldn't risk that she had said too much and given away her placement.

That was the same reason why she never planned on writing to her friends again, at least not until she could return home.

She grasped the locket firmly in her hand as she finally apparated to her new location. When she felt her feet hit the hard ground she looked up and found herself exactly where she had planned. A small muggle train station in the French countryside.