The Dilemma

Two rooms. A small drawing-room, with some cushioned chairs around a table that wasn't large enough to be a proper dining table. A few of the white torches had been lit, the only decoration of the bare stone walls. Some cabinets. In the other room, visible through the open door, was a large double bed and some more furniture.

Hugo closed the door behind him as he followed Barmond. The latter had already forgotten that he existed. He could hear the frantic pitter-patter of a scared heart in the bedroom, so that is where he went. Yoven was crouched in a corner, hands joined, mouthing prayers. He opened his eyes when Barmond entered the room, then slowly stood up. He looked... terrible. There was a bruise on one of his cheekbones, one that was a few days old, but the worse was the look of terror on his face.

"Do not approach me, spawn of Satan," he muttered, crossing himself.

It didn't do anything to Barmond but he stopped in his tracks anyway, out of respect. They were not off to a good start.

Yoven closed his eyes once more and took a deep breath. Once again, his dirty clothes clashed with the sombre but quality furniture around him. He was out of place.

"Yoven--"

"Don't 'Yoven' me!"

There was a silence. He had shouted, but even he looked startled by the sound of his own voice. Hugo was still hiding in the other room like a coward.

"Please calm down," said Barmond. He placed his hands in front of him, like he would for a wounded animal. "I am not going to hurt you."

He shook his head. "I don't believe you."

"You can trust me. I will not hurt you."

"Vampire."

This situation would be so much easier if Barmond was capable of hypnotising like a proper vampire. He could calm the other down subtly, making him believe that he was safe. Now, unless he wanted to erase his memory of when he had entered the room, he couldn't do anything but use his words.

"That's what you are, aren't you?" asked Yoven.

"Yes. That's what I am."

"What did you do to me?" he asked. "In my sleep?"

Barmond was put on the spot. He opened his mouth, but not a sound came out.

"Did you... did you take some of my blood?" asked Yoven. "They kept asking me that question. 'Did he drink from you? Did he bite your neck?' I told them no, but then-- 'Did you sleep with him near you?' And I said yes. Did you drink my blood?"

Barmond nodded his head.

"Where did you..." Yoven brought his hand to his mouth, as if looking for the word. "Where did you bite me? You bit me?"

"On the neck."

"On the neck." He touched himself there.

"On the other side."

Yoven's hand remained there, cupping the spot where Barmond had sank in his fangs. He seemed calmer now, pensive.

"On the other side," he muttered to himself. He pulled his hand away and reported his attention on Barmond once more. This time there was fury in his eyes. "So you just took it, and you didn't ask anything."

"Yoven--"

"Don't say it like that! You are a monster. Don't-- Don't look at me with those eyes. It's all lies. Everyone is a monster here-- Working for the devil! And you do too."