Those days when Iwaizumi was torn between running out of the hospital room, go back home, curl up in bed and forget the look of despair in Oikawa's face. But he would always, stupidly choose the other option which was to stay by Oikawa's side. Stand quietly by the bedside table, just within reach... but would never reach out. Oikawa would always look up at him and every time he did, Iwaizumi always dreaded that that was the last time those brown eyes were ever going to look at him.

"I'd take you." He said, not a single doubt in his voice, "Once you get out of the hospital. I'll call Mattsun and Makki. Heck, I'll even call our kouhais. It'll be a mini reunion."

Oikawa looked up at him with bleary eyes, disbelieving, before his face blossomed into an ear-splitting grin, "We can have a practice match."

Iwaizumi didn't realize that he was smiling, too... but only because it had been a very long time since he saw Oikawa's smile.

They stay quietly like that until a nurse came in to deliver some medicine and take away the tray of food. She has a soft voice and gentle face... and if Iwaizumi was being honest, looked kind of cute. She was a bit shy but her movements were graceful, and she gave a polite smile at Iwaizumi before she left.

Oikawa was looking curiously at him when his eyes just as much as trailed off on the nurse's direction. He frowned when he saw the glint on the setter's eyes, "What?"

"You're checking out my nurse." Oikawa chuckled, shaking his head, "You're too obvious, Iwa-chan."

"Huh? What are you saying Shittykawa?" He hissed, annoyed at the face the other guy was making.

Oikawa rolled his eyes, "Come on. Aiko-chan is pretty. I wouldn't be surprised you find him really cute."

"What the fuck?! Shut up or I'll punch you.I don't care if you're sick." Iwaizumi snapped again, looking away and seeing his reflection in the window. And goddammit but he was blushing.

Oikawa pouted, "Mean Iwa-chan!" But he was laughing, definitely enjoying this, "You should ask her out."

"I swear to god, Oikawa... if you don't--"

"You waste half of your days in the hospital, anyways. What's wrong with finding a little, cute lovelife while you're at it?" The suggestion was pretty innocent and really positive, and yet Oikawa looked like he just signed a death sentence.

Iwaizumi moved to sit on Oikawa's bed but he was careful not to touch him, "Is that what you really want?"

Oikawa shrugged but didn't say anything... still refusing to look at him.

" Tooru." He said and Oikawa's head quipped up, his brown eyes meeting Iwaizumi's hazel eyes. Iwaizumi thought how green and brown always looked good together... like branch and leaves, soil and grass... it was always natural to find green whenever you see brown.

"Maybe." Oikawa said softly and for some unknown reason, Iwaizumi's heart sank. He, of course didn't know why because neither of them had ever put any other label in what's between them... save for being best friends . But they also knew it was more than that.

They knew it ever since high school. Knew that best friends don't stick to each other that much, best friends don't miss each other too much and call each other everyday during college. Best friends don't walk you home, don't walk you to your station... or ride the bus at three in the morning, in the middle of a thunderstorm, with high fever to just see you... because he misses you. Best friends don't hold hands and they definitely... almost certainly never kiss while in a drunken stupor.

Iwaizumi sighed, looking up at the ceiling when his eyes passed by the clock on the wall and he realized he had to go to work. He groaned softly, "I have to go to work."

Oikawa turned to him, that same look of despair in his eyes telling Iwaizumi don't go because I need you here, but of course, he would not say it and would cover it up with a smile and a "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow. Take care." Except today, he just said, "Okay."

Iwaizumi hated it. He was distancing himself again even when he knows he couldn't run away from Iwaizumi. So he did what any sane person would do at that moment--he grabbed Oikawa's face and forced him to look at him, "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

Oikawa looked at him painfully for a moment before he smiled and nodded, "Alright. Goodbye, Iwa-chan."

... But the next morning, Oikawa's doctor and nurses advised Iwaizumi not to visit that day. " It's a bad day." They said, " Only family is allowed." He had finally rated a level 10 pain last night because of an infection and he was depressed because his hair started falling out because of the new medicine they gave him. Iwaizumi knew how much his insufferable best friend loved his hair.

Still, he had to see him. So he stood by Oikawa's door, watching the guy lying down on his bed, ventilator in place, staring up blankly at the ceiling. He was careful not to be seen... but at the same time, desperate too. He wanted Oikawa to know he was there... that he wouldn't just go because it was one of the bad days . So when his nurse, Aiko came up to him to ask why he was still around, he asked for a piece of paper, scribbled something on it and asked her to pass it to Oikawa if she can.

Aiko, was happy to oblige, slipping the note in her pocket before she entered Oikawa's room. Iwaizumi left.

You still owe me a wish, Shittykawa.