Brody grabbed some clothing out of his drawer and a towel, jumping in the shower.

When he was done, his hair wet and droplets falling onto the fabric of his shirt, he walked out of the bathroom. He looked over the bed where Nate had been, and yet the sheets were empty. Nate’s phone had disappeared from the bedside table, and only a small note remained in its place.

                I’ll be back after breakfast – Nate

Brody picked up the note, tossing it down on the bed. Why did Nate have to run off, what was he doing? Brody hoped that Nate wasn’t upset.

Brody’s stomach growled at him, and he decided that he would go to breakfast. He made his way to the cafeteria, his eyes searching for Nate the second that he stepped through the door, but it seemed that his mate was nowhere to be seen.

Someone tapped him on the arm and Brody turned, expecting it to be Nate who stood behind him, but when he faced the person, he realised that it was Kayden.

‘Hey,’ Kayden smiled. ‘Where’s Nate?’ he asked, looking around Brody.

‘No clue,’ Brody told him honestly.

Kayden looked curious, ‘You two are always together, did something happen?’

Brody shrugged, ‘It’s nothing,’ he muttered, but Brody knew that it wasn’t nothing. Today was the day that decided their fate and Nate had run off somewhere unknown.

Kayden must have sensed that Brody didn’t want to talk about it. ‘Do you want to eat?’ he asked, changing the subject, and Brody nodded, making his way over to the food line.

They both got their food and walked over to their usual table, sitting down alone. Kayden was looking around the cafeteria, ‘Have you seen Lucy this morning?’ he asked.

‘Nope,’ Brody replied.

‘Me either,’ Kayden commented, shoving a forkful of food into his mouth.

‘Are you excited to go back to your family?’ Brody asked, small talk keeping his mind off of the importance of the day.

Kayden spoke with a mouthful of food, ‘Of course. I haven’t seen my mate in weeks!’ he smiled fondly. ‘I’m so happy that I won’t have to go away for this long ever again.’

Brody tried to be happy for him. ‘That’s great, I’m sure she has missed you.’

Kayden smiled, ‘Are you excited to go back to your family?’ he asked.

Brody shrugged, ‘Yeah.’

‘You don’t sound too convinced?’ Kayden observed. ‘You know, you and Nate can still video call and come visit each other.’

Brody looked down at his food, moving it around absentmindedly with the edges of his fork. There was more truth in his words than he realised until they were already out of his mouth. ‘I’m afraid it won’t be the same once we leave here.’

Kayden leant forwards, ‘It will all be fine, you’ll see.’

Brody wished that he could believe him, but he wasn’t so sure. Without Nate by his side, his resolve was fading. They ate the rest of their meals in mostly silence, the odd word being shared between them.

Kayden walked up to Brody as he exited into the garden, tapping him on the arm.

‘Since there’s no more classes or anything, I’m meeting up with some of the guys from my history class to hang out, do you want to come?’ Kayden was obviously hoping that he would say yes, if the expectant smile on his lips was anything to judge by.