{4}

The knock on his door was what woke Nate the next morning. He practically jumped from his bed, stumbling over to the door and opening it. The look he gave whoever it was on the other side of the door was one that would have certainly inspired ill feelings if it hadn’t have been Lucy.

‘Oh Nate, get that look off of your face, it’s almost nine in the morning,’ Lucy announced, walking straight past Nate and taking a seat at his desk like she owned the place. She sat with one leg crossed over the other at the knee, one arm lazing over the back of the chair.

Nate stood at the still open door, rolling his eyes.

‘Quit that, shut the door,’ somehow even a command seemed like a joyous statement coming from Lucy’s pink lips.

Nate shut the door, as per her command, the painted wood locking back into place.

‘Why are you in my room, it’s basically still night time,’ Nate said walking over to his closet and throwing on a shirt. He wondered for a second if he had made his friend uncomfortable by opening the door in just his boxers, but then threw the worry out the window when he remembered the way she barged into his room, uninvited.

Once the shirt was over his head he sat down on the bed, facing Lucy.

‘Why weren’t you at dinner last night?’ she asked.

‘No reason.’

Lucy rolled her eyes, ‘That’s a lie. Now, tell me the truth.’

‘Tye and Jace were being idiots in the gym and I had to deal with the broken window and after that I didn’t feel like leaving my room.’

‘They told me about that last night,’ Lucy admitted, ‘but you know how they can be,’ she said, as if brushing the whole incident off.

‘They were awful to the poor guy,’ Nate told her, images of green eyes on the ground flashing in his mind. Nate thought about his encounter with the green eyed boy. The kid had basically refused any help from him, and yet Nate wished that he could help him. He didn’t know whether it was because he was Hunter’s brother or what, but he felt like he wanted to help him.

‘Nate, they are two Alpha’s meeting another Alpha male for the first time, of course they are going to try to prove their superiority. It’s how they work, it’s how you should work too.’

‘I don’t feel like punching people just so they know I’m superior,’ Nate said.

Lucy laughed, ‘I know, but that’s not how all Alpha’s act. Most of them are insecure, especially in a place like this, other Alpha’s around every corner.’

‘That’s no excuse for how they acted.’

Lucy nodded, ‘I know, but they aren’t going to change anytime soon, and we have stuff to do today, so go put actual clothes on.’

Nate groaned, ‘Fine. I guess I have that mentor meeting this morning anyway.’

‘Yes you do,’ Lucy told him, standing, ‘As do I.’

‘Bye Luce,’ Nate ushered her out, ‘I’ll see you this afternoon.’

Lucy obliged, walking towards the door.

‘Wait,’ and Lucy paused in her steps.

‘Yes?’ She turned her head, her body still facing the door.

‘What time is the mentor meeting?’

Lucy smirked, ‘About five minutes, you might want to put some pants on.’