Chapter 14

Rather, it was better to recruit those who were not lucky enough to receive help, and who had a desire for power and ambition but had failed to make them flourish. Aria wanted to be the queen of those who had been pushed aside. She had to choose people who could survive on their own if she put them on the right track, just like Sarah.

'Of course, Sarah will be marquise on her own. Still, I need people like her.'

And Aria knew those people well. In general, they were those who had money but no personal connections. There were quite a few of those whom she had met later at that same party. That was probably why they had stuck to her, who had only her beauty.

Among them, Aria could recall a few men who had loved her almost to the end. They had fallen for her pretty face and given everything to her.

Although they had been forced to marry noble ladies because they were heirs to their families, their expressions of regret and sadness were still vivid.

Right now there was little to notice about them, but with some land and the proper investments, wealth would rain on them. Compared to the cards that Mielle had, they were not so good, but they were the ones whom she could reach out to right now.

'Let's test them first. If I'm lucky, I may be able to get others through them, the greater ones that will help me get rid of Mielle.'

Aria handed a note to her mother, listing the names of the three people whom she could remember. Her mother looked alternately at the names in the note and at Aria's face. She seemed to wonder if she should actually hire them as private tutors.

"Not to mention Lady Sarah of Viscount Lauren's family, but you have a poor eye. They will not be at all helpful."

"But, I can't share tutors with Mielle, can I?"

"I think none of the three is knowledgeable enough to teach you."

Like her mother had said, they were not very knowledgeable. They were just ordinary aristocrats. Among them, there were just two viscountesses and one baroness. But Aria had not chosen them in hopes of great knowledge either. She had only chosen them as a test.

The countess shrugged at Aria's repeated attitude and said, "I can't help it if you like them."

'In truth, you just think it's annoying to have them investigated.'

The countess handed Aria's note to her maid. It meant that the maid should hand it over to the butler, and he would be the one to write the letters with the family's seal instead.

She always handled countess' affairs that way. It was not that difficult, but she limited herself to buying clothes and jewellery. Because that was nothing new, the maid left the room after getting her orders.

Thanks to the sincere and clever butler, Aria was soon able to meet the three wives. The first one she met was Viscountess White.

"Nice to meet you."

No matter what the rumours were, Aria was a lady of the family of the count, and her mother reigned in power above them. That meant that Aria was a good target for Viscountess White, who was looking for a lady to marry her son off to.

Aria curtsied.

There was no sign of the rumours in that graceful manner of greeting. Even though Aria was lowborn in spite of her high status, she was an elegant bride-to-be, whom the viscountess. The viscountess, who had a hard face, smiled gently while Aria responded with a very regular expression, as it was standard.

"I ask you to favour me well, Viscountess White."

'Are you ready to play in my hands?'

There was no shade on Aria's brightly smiling face to Mrs. White.