A Daily Prophet Relationship: Part II

Draco didn't waste time spreading the rumours of their new fake relationship. He arrived in her office at lunch and instead of walking with her to the Ministry break room, he insisted they go out to eat together instead.

"Nothing too big," he said, handing over her cloak as she stood up from her desk. "Just something to get the press curious."

"This is such a bad idea," she murmured, fastening her cloak around her shoulders. Draco had just grinned and grabbed her hand, leading her out of the Ministry proudly and ignoring the many stares they received.

Lunch was lovely and Hermione noticed one or two people take a photo of them, but she let it slide since that was the reason for going out to lunch anyway. When he returned her to her office, he pressed a kiss to her cheek where a few of their coworkers could see then disappeared with another incorrect wink.

The response from the press was immediate and therefore so was Ron's. Their first outing had been Friday but when the Daily Prophet released the photo of them on the front page of Saturday's paper, Hermione wasn't surprised. Unfortunately, she'd had less than five minutes after the paper arrived before her Floo sounded.

"Where the fuck are you?"

Hermione's heart dropped at the sound of Ron's voice. She knew he wouldn't like the press photo, but she'd been hoping for a howler instead of a personal visit.

Before she could decide if she should apparate away or not, Ron walked into the kitchen and glared at her.

"So you have been cheating on me with Malfoy," he accused. Hermione didn't see how defending herself would help, so she stayed quiet. "That's why you wanted to break up, so you could go out in public with him."

"Ron, we did break up," she said. Ron snorted.

"Like fuck we did," he said. Hermione eyed the way he looked around the kitchen, worried he'd find something to break. "We'll break up the day Malfoy actually gets in your pants because we both know you're too much of a prude to ever allow him to."

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed, offended he'd say such a thing.

"It's true, isn't it?" he taunted, raising his voice above hers. "You wouldn't fuck me, so you definitely won't fuck Malfoy. Just watch, Hermione. He's only using you to get his name out of the mud and when he's done with you, you'll be glad we never broke up."

"We did break up!" Hermione yelled again. Ron kicked the table chair closest to him and pointed his wand at her.

"Don't yell at me!" he snarled. Hermione's breath caught in her throat as his wand sparked, but he didn't curse her.

"Get out, Ron," she said quietly. She didn't move a muscle as she spoke. "I'll call Harry if you don't."

He glared at her fiercely then turned and left through her Floo, leaving her to her thoughts that, unfortunately, mostly consisted of whether she'd made a big mistake when agreeing to Draco's proposition.

* * * * *

"Please tell me you have a lead on our case," Hermione said on Monday when she walked into her office. Draco had taken a seat at her desk and had her coffee sitting across from him. "Tell me that's why you're here."

"Well, yes, I do have a lead, but that's not why I'm here," Draco said, frowning slightly. "Have a rough weekend?"

Hermione just grunted and shooed him out of her seat. He didn't fight her and stood up the first time she asked.

"Did the press hound you? What happened?" he asked. He picked up her coffee and handed it to her as she leaned back in her chair.

"No, Ron was just upset by the Prophet's post on Saturday," she said. She held her coffee with both hands and enjoyed the warmth.