A Pirate's Tavern Song: Part II

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. Potter recommended two women—sisters, I believe—and they did a better job than any other patch work doctor we've found," Zabini said.

"The Patil Twins?" she asked, glancing at him. He nodded. "Wait, you talked with Harry? How bad is it, Blaise?"

"It wasn't good," Zabini replied, avoiding the question. He lead her through the ship and stopped in front of a closed door. Hermione could see candle light flickering through the stained window pane and a blurred figure sitting across the room. "We all took a hit, but Draco was hit the worst. Maybe he'll tell you more, but if not, you'll probably sleep better."

"I don't need you to lie to me so I can sleep at night," Hermione said sharply.

"I didn't say it for you, Granger," Zabini said quietly. Hermione's face softened, but he opened the door to Draco's quarters before she could apologise.

Nott was seated beside Draco's bed, a journal on his knee and a quill in his hand. Lying down with his eyes closed, Draco looked like he was fast asleep.

"Granger," Nott said with a nod, smiling at her as she walked in. Draco's eyes snapped open and his head turned to face her.

"Merlin, Draco," Hermione gasped, taking in his gaunt face. She hurried over to his bed and carefully sat on the edge, taking one of his hands in both of hers. "What the hell happened?"

Although Draco had always been pale for a sailor, he looked sickly now. There were bruises around his eyes and he had a wrap around his left shoulder. Nott didn't look much better and when Hermione turned to look at Zabini again, she found he was limping on his way to Draco's bookshelf.

"Someone needs to tell me what happened," she said. The longer she was left to think about it, the more she would panic. She hadn't really allowed the worry to creep in until she'd seen Draco and now that she had, she found she couldn't seem to stop it from rising.

"We crossed paths with a Sicilian crew in northern Italy," Nott explained. He cast a glance at Draco. "They'd heard of us, I suppose, and seemed to think if they attacked us in the port during the night, they'd be able to tell stories about killing the great pirate Malfoy."

"They didn't succeed, of course," Zabini added helpfully. He gestured to Draco and Hermione looked down at him. "Clearly he's still breathing."

"They tried to kill you?" Hermione asked, brushing her fingers over Draco's forehead. He squeezed her hand and Hermione frowned. "Zabini said you've been here for days but only just now sent for me. Why?"

"Couldn't have you worrying," Draco said, his voice scratchy. He cleared his throat and attempted to smile at her. "You have a tavern to run after all and if I hadn't been dead asleep when he left, I wouldn't have let him go."

"I'm glad he did," Hermione said, casting a glance at Zabini. "You're stupid for thinking I'd stay in the tavern." She turned back to look at Nott and Zabini and asked, "Did the Twins look after the rest of the crew too?"

"Yes, most of them have more minor injuries," Nott told her, waving a hand around his head. "Some are inland tonight, but most are sleeping off the bruises."

"Zabini has a limp and you haven't stood up since I walked in," Hermione noticed, nodding at where Nott was staying seated. "Did the Twins check you both?"

"Oh, yes," Draco laughed softly from beside her, grimacing slightly. "Zabini there dislocated his hip and is sporting a bruise so large it could rival the British navy while Nott has half a dozen broken ribs."

"And you?" Hermione asked accusingly, noting how he was in bed while the others were not.

"Yeah, Draco, tell her about you," Zabini said with a smirk. He leaned against the door and crossed his arms, watching Draco in amusement. "What's got you stuck in bed?"