chiquitita

Valentina Amato

"Chiquitita, tell me the truth, I'm a shoulder you can cry on. Your best friend, I'm the one you must rely on" mine and Colette's favorite ABBA song plays in the background as we lay in my bed together. She's cuddled up to me and I'm stroking her hair.

After Lorenzo walked me to my door, and kissed again.... I walked in to see Colette sitting on our couch with a bruised cheek. I didn't even realize Apollo was sitting on the other end of the couch. Colette told me that she'd explain everything and I told her to follow me into my room. As she explained the horrible things she had to go through, I couldn't help but cry. I felt like a horrible best friend. I wasn't there to help her. She began to cry too and soon we were both a crying mess. We calmed down the only way we knew how...turn on ABBA and lay down to cuddle.

"Thank you for being here for me, Valé... I feel like you and I were meant to be best friends" she says as she smiles up at me.

"Colette, I trust you with everything in my life. I know that you would never hide anything from me, and it means a lot to me that you trusted me with what happened. I know you would never hide anything from me," I smile at her, but her eyes look away and she sits up.

"What's wrong?" I ask her and sit up as well. She looks me in the eyes and then she gives me a small frown.

"I-It's nothing...my cheek is just starting to hurt, 'is all" Colette reaches her hand to touch her bruise and winces slightly.

"I wish Apollo gave you a real ice pack," I laugh and roll my eyes, "God help the poor girl that he ends up with, that's if he ever does settle down" I let out a loud laugh at the idea of my brother settling down.

"You never know," Colette shrugs and I scoff.

"Please, I have a better chance at getting a tattoo year than Apollo ever settling down," I say and get up from the bed, walking over to my record player and turning the volume up, "Now, can we please stop talking about my brother and dance to our favorite song?" I smile as I reach my hand out to her. She smiles at me and accepts my hand.

"Chiquitita, you and I know, How the heartaches come and they go and the scars they're leaving. You'll be dancing once again and the pain will end, You will have no time for grieving," Colette and I sing and dance along, laughing as I spin her around.

"Chiquitita, you and I cry. But the sun is still in the sky and shining above you, Let me hear you sing once more like you did before. Sing a new song, Chiquitita..." we embrace each other and sit down on my bed again.

"So, what have you been up to while I was away?" she asks me, crossing her legs and getting comfortable.

"You remember the British guy from the cantina?" I ask her and bite my lip.

"No fucking way!! You're doing him?!" she exclaims and bolts up from the bed.

"Shhhh! Keep your voice down! I don't want Apollo to hear you and I also don't want him to hear you! He lives in the villa across from ours," I whisper yell at her and point to my window, "his window is literally across from mine" I bring my finger to my lips.

"Sorry," she gives me a sheepish smile.

"And, no I'm not doing him. We've gone out on two dates so far...and we might have kissed once or twice today," I feel my face heating up and I grab a pillow and shove my face into it.

"Ahdajkfmj," I scream, the pillow muffling and sound that comes out of my mouth.

"So I take it you like him then?" Colette laughs at my reaction. "I've never seen you act this way about a guy before, not even Mateo" she pokes at my ribs teasing me.