checkmate

AUTHORS NOTE: 3K!!! Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading, voting, and commenting!! Again, it means the world to me knowing that there are people who enjoy my story <3 I hope you enjoy this chapter!! Can't wait to see what y'all think :))

p.s. don't forget to check out the other stories on this account! Tale of Two Stories and Butterflies are worth the read, I promise!! <3

-Badger

Valentina Amato

"So...you know...." I say to Apollo after he comes back with my copy of Les Mis.

"I already spoke with Lorenzo about it, and I won't say anything...just be careful, Valé, okay?" Apollo says and pulls me into a hug.

"I promise I'm being careful," I say in our embrace.

"Valentina! You zoned out again," Colette laughs and then points at me with her spoon, "your breakfast is getting cold."

"Colette, it's cereal. It's already cold," I say and we both laugh, finishing up our cereal. I hear a thud from behind me and Colette and I both turn in curiosity.

"Did a shoe just fly past your window?" Colette asks with a raised brow. I walk towards the shoe and see that it has a note attached to it. This looks familiar I think to myself.

Come over for an early lunch and then we'll see where the day takes us? See you at 1, darling x

Love,

Your Lorenzo

"Please let me help you get ready!" Colette cheers and I give her a nervous smile and nod. Does this mean I'm going to meet his friends?

As Colette rushes to the room to pick out my outfit, I make a pitstop at Apollo's room and knock on the door lightly.

"Come in," I hear his voice say from the otherside of the door.

"Apollo, I think I'm meeting Lorenzo's friends today... I'm a little nervous," I admit and sit next to his lying figure, "you met them...kind of...were they nice?" I ask him.

"I'm not going to sugar coat it," he sits up and stretches his arms, "they're...different to say the least. I mean, I can't fully judge them because they grew up differently than we did, different customs and lifestyles, but I'd be careful around that blonde prick" Apollo's eyes glare slightly.

"What do you mean?" I say biting my lip nervously.

"He's a little more hostile than the other one, that's all. I know you know how to stand your ground and not let people treat you unfairly, which I'd like to take credit for," he laughs and lightly shoves my arm, "but, still be careful" he pats my head. I thank Apollo and head to my room, not ready for what I entered into.

"There you are!! Okay, so I couldn't decide between these two, so you choose" Colette says and stands next to me, laying her head on my shoulder.

I lean into her and look at the two options spread on my bed. I bring my hand up to my mouth and bite my nail, a nervous habit I have, and use my other hand to point at the option on the right.

"I was thinking that one too," she smirks at me and then sits me down on the chair near my desk.

I tell Colette that I want something very simple and natural, and she does just that. She styles my normally wavy hair in a voluminous blowout and I put the outfit we chose on.