Chapter 11- It Really Is

We ran out and headed back to the house reluctantly. I unlocked the door with one of my bobby pins and Charlie ran in.

"Mom? Mom? Neil? We're home!" Charlie yelled throughout the house.

"Charlie!" Neil ran toward him, embracing him tightly.

"Crystal!" Mom kissed the top of my head, hugging both of us.

I hugged her back, hoping that she finally saw for who I really was. She made sure we were okay as I heard police sirens outside.

"I don't have a lot of time," Dad gave me an excuse to pull away.

"Did you leave the gifts I made under the tree?" Charlie asked, walking over to him.

"You bet I did," Dad nodded.

"We better go," Charlie walked over to the fireplace.

"Actually, I think it's a much better idea if you stay here with your Mom and Neil," Dad stopped him.

"Really?" Mom questioned.

"But, Dad," Charlie said.

"No buts, Charlie. I can't take both of you with me. I can't be with both of you all the time. We're a family. You, me, your mom... and Neil. And they need you too," Dad explained.

"Why does Crystal get to go with you?" Charlie complained.

"Because I have work to do at the workshop, Charlie. I need to be with Dad to help make children happy. You said I can't let Bernard go, right?" I said as Charlie started to cry. I hugged him. "I'm joking, Charlie. Dad and I have a lot of kids to make happy, and I have a lot of toys to start making tomorrow. I promise I'll visit as much as I can when I get days off."

"I love you, Crystal," Charlie whimpered. "I love you, Santa Claus."

"We love you too, Charlie," I said softly.

"Laura, what do you think? Christmas Eve, you guys want Charlie?" Dad looked at Mom.

"Oh my god. It's you. It really is you," Mom smiled over her tears.

"Mom?" I stood up, holding Charlie at my side. "Do you believe me?"

"Yes, I do, sweetheart," Mom nodded as I went over to her and hugged her. "You're an elf."

"Have been for a while," I smiled into her shoulder.

She pulled away, looking into my true eyes. "Do you understand that I have to live with Dad for a while in the North Pole?"

"Yes, I do. But I want you to visit," Mom said.

"Of course, Mom," I nodded, walking over to Dad.

"You really are Santa Claus," Mom looked at Dad.

"Pretty cool, huh?" Dad questioned. "Your parents thought I'd never amount to anything."

"Oh, wait! Don't go yet. I have something for you," Mom ran off.

"Scott," Neil got our attention.

"Neil?" Dad questioned.

Neil walked over to him and stared at him. His eyes widened after a moment. "Santa?"

"It's okay, Neil," Dad chuckled.

"Here," Mom held up a folder. "It's, well uh, it's my Christmas present to you. It's the custody papers. And, I want you to come and see Charlie and Crystal as often as you can," Mom tossed them into the fire and I beamed.

"Thanks, Laura," Dad whispered. "Merry Christmas."

"What's all this boo-hooin goin' on here? Hey, how ya doing?" Bernard walked in, eating something.

"This is the second time you've snuck in this house and I'm about to consider changing the locks," I said as I hugged him.

"I assume this is Bernard?" Mom asked.

I pulled away from him and Bernard shook Mom's hand. He looked at Dad and Dad looked down at his hat.

"It's nothing, Bernard, I'm just saying goodbye to Charlie," Dad explained.

"What goodbye?" Bernard asked. "Charlie, you still got the glass ball, right?"

"Yeah?" Charlie said, confused.

"Well all you gotta do is shake it whenever you want to see your sister or your Dad," Bernard explained.

"Really?" Charlie looked at me with hope in his eyes.

"Want me, I'll be there in a blink. I'm your sister, Charlie, I'm not going to let you down that easily," I smiled, fixing my sweater.

"He can come back to see you, any time, day or night. Hey, have I ever steered you wrong?" Bernard asked and Charlie shook his head.

"Laura, he's sucking us into his delusions. Look at the elaborate measures he's taken," Neil glared at Bernard.

"Neil, I haven't gotten plastic surgery, if that's what you're thinking. The glitter is natural, it's like freckles for elves. I'm an elf. Dad's Santa Claus. My boyfriend is in your living room. Face reality," I sighed.

"Neil, relax. I'll explain it to you later," Mom said calmly as Bernard disappeared.

"Where'd he go?" Neil looked around.

There were police sirens around the house and Mom rushed outside.

"Excuse me! Excuse me, hi!" Mom yelled as I decided to take the safe route and disappear inside the house.

I appeared back in the com room next to Judy. She smiled at me and I went downstairs. Bernard hugged me warmly and comfortingly. We had both had a long night.

"Sorry about my stepfather," I frowned. "He doesn't really believe in us."

"You're allowed to stay?" Bernard asked.

I nodded, smiling. "I'm stuck with you for the rest of my life."

"C'mon, let's go home. We start work again in the morning," Bernard wrapped an arm around me.

We walked into the village, watching some of the kids retiring for the night. He stopped for a moment and looked at me. "Actually, Close your eyes."

I closed my eyes and he took my hand, guiding me forward. "And where are you taking me, Mr. Head Elf?" I teased.

"Well, my princess, you'll have to see to find out," Bernard replied.

"Baby, where are you actually taking me?" I asked impatiently.

"You'll have to wait and see, sweetheart," Bernard repeated.

I felt snow crunching underneath my feet as Bernard led me further and further into somewhere. I trusted him to lead me every step of the way without injuries, and he did just that.

"Okay. Open your eyes," Bernard said softly before removing his hands.

I opened my eyes and covered my mouth in shock. The tree we had climbed on as kids was covered carefully in fairy lights. Snow reflected the lighting, making it even more beautiful.

"Bernard. Did you do this?" I said, beaming in surprise. "This is so beautiful."

"Do you want one more present?" he asked behind me.

"As long as we won't get in trouble," I giggled.

"Turn around."

I froze when I saw Bernard on one knee. A velvet-covered box held a ring inside of it, and Bernard was holding it open. My tears welled with joy as I looked into his eyes.

"Will you marry me, Crystal?"