"Don't you think it's rude to ignore someone, Shinazugawa?" Shinobu called out in a sickeningly sweat tone, easily catching up to Sanemi and walked next to him.

He didn't acknowledge her and continued walking, his feet making loud crunching noises on the dead leaves littering the ground.

The best way to deal with Shinobu was to ignore her.

Something that Sanemi knew annoyed her, which is why he did it so much. He also found it amusing. 

He could practically feel the anger radiating off of her.

"Well that was rude," She said.

He ignored her once more.

He felt a pain going into his side and he grunted, grabbing his sword and glaring at Shinobu's elbow.

"Oh, are you going to cut my hand off because I elbowed you? Isn't that a little childish, Shinezugawa?" She said as she smiled, her eyes closed as she tilted her head sweetly. 

"Fuck off, Shinobu. I'm not in the mood." Sanemi said as he started walking again.

He heard her light footsteps following.

"Is it because your boyfriend is missing?" She said, her voice high-pitched. 

Sanemi started, turning around to glare at Shinobu, who had a wide shit-eating grin spread across her face, her teeth shining in the moonlight. 

"Tomioka, is not my boyfriend," he said, taking a breath between each word to make sure his point was able to be understood. 

She smiled, tilting her head to the side.

"Sure. Whatever you say," Shinobu said, her tone failing to hide her laughter.

Shinobu then walked by him and Sanemi assumed she was trying to bump him on the shoulder, but she couldn't quite reach his shoulder, and instead, bumped his arm.

Sanemi growled and walked past her.

They ended up competing for who could walk faster. They were steadily ignoring each other the entire time. 

It was a race to nowhere. Just two stubborn idiots trying to prove a point.

They had been racily each other rather pointlessly for twenty minutes by the time the moon was high in the sky. 

Shinobu had passed her patrol area, meaning she had to double back and go the opposite direction, which Sanemi counted as a win.

They both huffed as they began to separate.

As Sanemi started walking in the direction to his estate he heard his name get called.

"Sanemi," Shinobu said, looking at his direction, her signature smile nowhere to be seen.

His surprise at her sullen expression prompted his response. "What?" Sanemi responded, his tone curt as he looked down at her. 

"Do you think he's actually dead?" She asked, frowning. Shinobu looked uncharacteristically fragile. 

Sanemi stopped walking, the leaves under his feet crunching as he turned to face her completely. 

He knew exactly who she was talking about.

He never actually considered the possibility that Tomioka had actually died. He just assumed he either didn't want to go to the meetings or got lost on his way to the meetings. Every time. 

"No." Sanemi said through a clenched jaw, refusing to allow the thought to even cross his mind. 

He then jumped into the trees and started moving to his patrol location, his feet landing harshly on the tree branches as he moved through the woods.